Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Trying to choose a 250 and need help!!!!

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by ricomac, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Hi everyone

I have been riding a 50cc scooter for a year. My only experience on a bike is the Honda CB250 I used on the Ls course. I want to get a bike now and I was looking at either the Honda CBR250RR, Kawasaki ZZR250 or the Cagiva Mito 125. I am a short bloke at 5ft4.

Any ideas for a beginner please????? Much appreciated.

2. Hey mate, good to see youre making the transition!
    Dont forget the GPX-nice bike, i have a yamaha zeal SWEET bike, low seat too compared to alot of others, and yet still comfortable riding (im 5'11''). But really nice bike, and if you are into naked bikes, IMNSHO its one the nicest looking 250's out there!

8)

3. VTR250.

otherwise, Spada. they share the same engine.

4. CBR250RR is a great bike, and you'll be okay with the ride height at 5'4". However, I personally think the CBR's, being all boy-racerish and whatnot, are best for confident riders. Is that you?

I have a Spada and love her very much. My bf has a CBR and it took me a few months of riding the Spada to summon the confidence to take his CBR for a fang. Totally different riding concept. The CBR is all super smooth & high revving & sticks to the road, and I got more leaned over in a corner on that bike than I would feel comfortable doing on the Spada ever....

The CBR is double the cost of the Spada.

Of the three bikes you've chosen, I'd go the CBR. They're a young-man-on-restricted-licence cliche for a reason - they're damn good bikes.

5. It depends on what you want to spend.......

I have alwasy thought on thinking a year or two ahead and deciding if you will sell it and upgrade or keep it for a few years.

If you think you will upgrade - and most riders do - get something that will hold it's value well, is fun to ride, and of course safe!

I've borrowed (or loaned over a few months) NSR150's, Across's, CBR's, XV250's......all about 96 to 02 models from $2500 to $3700. All very good bikes and for the price I paid when I purchased either made or lost a few hundered bucks when I sold them (excluding the rego fees).

I am still deciding what REAL bike I will get next year - a 600 that is 3 to 4 years old in near-new condition seems to be the go.

I would never purchase a new bike for the same reason I would never purchase a new car - I like to spend my $$$ on other things (like insurance, rego, fuel, RACV, weekends away etc.)

6. I wouldnt really want to spend more than 6000.

I am sure this is a stupid question but what is "Spada".

And I wouldnt really call myself confident. Not nervous but I have not riden on busy inner city roads yet.

7. Might want to consider a Suzuki Bandit/Katana, 4 cylinder motor with plenty of power - low seat height makes them perfect for shorter riders (designed for the Japanese market afterall).

8. One guy at work suggested a 250 cruiser. What do you guys think of those bikes?

9. Slow

10. I like the Virago - keeps it's value well. Great for cruising long distances and takes a large top case easily.

Is it good for twisties - probably not at a good rate of speed. I have been down the GOR a few times and it was great fun - of course got over taken by the 600+ "dare devils" gang on the inside of corners but I have no real wish to be like them anyway!

It really depends on what type of riding you like - sport or cruising. It may be an idea to rent both types for a day and see which one you prefer??

As you can figure - I still have not decided - but will probably settle on a sport/cruiser cross (if such a beast exists??).

As for the"slow" tag - sits on 120 very nicely thankyou! Steep hills you may have to slow down a bit but the last Nissan Micra 1.2 car I saw go up a steep incline......

11. Okay, a Spada is a Honda Naked V-Twin 250 sports bike. They were only made in 1989, and despite being quite old, are rock solid and retain their value excellently. You should be able to pick one up for less than $3800 with less than 20,000kms on the clock.

Me on Spada
    http://www.detourphotos.com/070805web/DSC_1764.jpg

Without wanting to get into an argument or wanting to make OC1 feel bad, viragos have absolutely no street cred, and if you were to join a club and go hang out at motorcycle places, like Road Warriors, people would smirk. Sad but true. Guess it depends on whether that bothers you or not.... I was told in no uncertain terms by friends that if I was to get a virago (was toying with the idea at first) then they wouldn't ride with me!

12. Also, don't forget to factor in gear to your budget. Being a scooter rider, I assume you've been riding around in normal clothes?

You'll need:
    Full Set of Leathers
    Pair of Draggin Jeans or equivalent
    Gloves x 2 (winter & summer)
    Boots
    Wet weather gear
    Helmet (full face)
    and maybe a textile jacket for summer too

I had X amount of money to spend. I did the costings for all the gear, and spent what remained on the bike. I recommend this course of action.

13. Ok thanks flashfire.

and yes, all I have are summer gloves and a helmet (but its a full face). so I guess i need to think about that.

14. get a vtr!
    Practical...
    Nice to look at (unless your a racer boy/girl, hehe)...
    A fair amount of torque for a 250, leave those cbr's for dead! (up to 80kmh that is...)
    Cheap to service...
    Cheap to insure...
    Good resale options...

15. Spada or VTR, go the twins :D

16. Yup go the VTR, great learner bikes!

17. what about the good GPX and maybe its offspring zzr their TWINS and a great bike that isn't very overpriced like the vtr

18. I just bought a 1999 model Kawasaki GPX250 R and I'm very happy with it. Didn't cost too much ($3250). Goes really well. And I should be able to sell it in a couple of years and lose very little money.

The people who are saying what do you intend to do in 2 years time are right. And the people saying buy your gear then buy your bike with the change are right. If you plan to upgrade in a short time, a cheaper bike like a GPX is absolutely the go. If you think you'll ride a 250 for a while, then maybe a CBR has more playability over the long term.

All the best.