Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Trying Dunlops

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by hornet, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Around 4,000 kms ago, when faced with my standard "Where can I get a 16" front tyre?" dilemma, my mechanic suggested a Dunlop. (Actually it was more that he HAD a 16" tyre in stock, rather than the brand, which made the decision easy.) So I got a GPR-200 on the front.

This week it was time to get a new rear tyre, and he 'just happened' to have a Dunlop GPR-200 in stock in the right size, again, so I got it fitted yesterday.

I don't know yet about wear and grip (just did a quick blat up Macquarie Pass and over through Jamberoo early this morning to scrub it in) but it sure wasn't as expensive as my last Bridgestone BT-021, which was $315 fitted back in October 2009. The Dunlop was $269, fitted.

I'll report on how they both go.
  2. I love these tyres! I found the grip fine for me, those most sports touring riders probably push harder than I do. But what really impressed me was the fact I got 15,000km out of the tyres, of mostly upright highway riding, and the tyres at that point still had ok tread.

You can only have two of these three things - any two, but only two: fast, good, cheap. Well, they're cheap; and if good = mileage then they're very good; and if fast = grip well I couldn't complain there either! So maybe with the GPR you can have two and a half of these three things!
  3. As far as I can tell, they look like the replacement or update to the GPR 100. I ran quite a few sets of them on my 400 and found them pretty good as far as dry grip. A bit more slippery in the wet though, if you compare them to the Bridgestone BT 014 I was running previously. If you don't go nuts on them, you should get good mileage as well. I could get between 4 and 7500 km depending on the pace.
  4. inferior to the battlax, you will be dissapointed
  5. September '11, Monkeyman was right!!! I've just replaced the Dunlop with a Bridgestone, and my confidence in the bike is restored.

I'm not saying the tyre is bad, per se, but it didn't work out well in the 16" version on my bike :(.
  6. Hmm, I'm looking at changing my rear tyre end of month.
    Think I'll be sticking to the bt 023.
    Were on my tdm when I bought it and I've have no lack of confidence still after 12 thou k's.