Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Trust in your training, don’t give up, just push harder.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by FALCON-LORD, Jul 27, 2007.

1. I was out on the Mystery ride last night. Over all it was a pleasant ride, but there was one encounter that was a HUGE learning experiance. Heading outbound on the westgate and turning onto the Bolte Bridge. There was a car in the left lane so three of us went in on the right lane clocking over the ton. I was gaining on the two bikes in front, and had the throttle wide open. There was a slight slip in the front so I pulled leant in harder watching deeper into the corner. The bike just stabilized under me and let me pull deeper into the corner pulling into the left lane after we passed the car and starting the pass.

So I went in faster and tighter than the other bikes by using all I have been taught. WHAT A BLAST!

Why is this in New riders and Tips???
    It has been said many times here.
    Look through the corner and trust in your bike.
    And this is exactly what stabilized the bike, I looked deeper into the corner, and not only stabilized the twitching the bike was doing, but found I had even more that I could get out of the bike. Trust in your training, don’t give up, just push harder.
  2. Re: Trust in your training, don’t give up, just push harde

chill out too though
  3. Is that an old-fashioned ton, Falcon, or one of these new metric ones?

4. That's the only problem I had a converting from MPH to KMH, 100 MPH is quick 100 KMH is meh.
  5. Now u know why i go ;)
  6. Dont forget to chill though. I dont want to read another "off" tread..
  7. If the front is sliding, that's a BIG warning bell right there. Back off a touch mate, you're pushing the front tyre too hard. My crash was from a front-end slide that just didn't regrip again. It's a very fine line to be treading once the front starts to slide.
  8. My bike pushes the front a fair bit. It's hit and miss though whether it recovers or not. Same corner, same speed, and just occasionally it keeps on going into a lowside.

Personally, I wouldnt be taking that gamble on the road. If you've fcuked up though, better to push it then run wide.
  9. Agreed. The best course of action almost always will be to still try to make the corner, and if a low-side occurs, that's likely to be far less dangerous than running off the road while upright.

In that respect, the OP is quite right. Have faith, just keep focused on the goal of making it through the corner. There's a good chance that you'll still make it, and even if you don't, it's probably a whole lot better than the alternatives.
  10. Yes it was only a metric ton, but the speed is not really the relevent point here. (And in that corner a ZZR doesn't actually have a whole lot more)
    What was relivent was that by working my body instead of working the bike, i found the bike had a whole lot more in it.

That the wiggle in the front was because I wasn't commited yet I was pushing more out of the bike. When I looked deeper into the corner so my body was positioned right, the bike just came with me.

And yeah I don't ride like this all the time, I am not intending on posting a rider down any time soon.

11. So the tire wasn't actually sliding or skidding?
  12. Couldn't tell you for sure...
    Twitching, Definately.
    Slipping... Maybe.
  13. You can tell when the front is sliding. The inside handlebar starts to turn towards the tank. The bike's line will start to drift wider and the bike will wallow and want to fall onto its side. Somewhat like a rear wheel slide, where you can keep the power on and just try to pick the bike up a bit by pushing on the outside bar and hanging off more to recover it, but the problem with a front end slide is that it won't respond to handlebar inputs. The best thing you can do is to try to push off the road with your knee-slider to prop the bike up if you're cranked to the max, or if you're dirt-tracking it with a foot-out style, plant the inside foot and push off to help pick the bike up. Still, there's no real guarantee that the front will re-grip 'cos once it's sliding the weight's all wrong and the bike wants to push the tyre sideways. With the rear you can slide it with a fair amount of control once you get used to it, but with the front it's a far less controlled affair and you're just rolling the dice of chance more often than not.
  14. You are probably unknowingly altering your seating position or posture . Weight forward or rearward will alter things.
  15. One of the smoothest and constant corners in melb, love it.
  16. Me too, great fun!
  17. Any reference to speed or pushing too hard without knowing the corner is meaningless. I slid the back on my bike this morning at 100kph. I take that same corner every day at about the same speed (and I uised to my old bike which handled worse and had worse rubber), and that's probably only the second time I've done that. It's well within my limits and the bike's, but sometimes you'll just get that little sensation.

It only takes a slight difference in surface - maybe a little damp patch, maybe a small pebble on the road, or a leaf or twig, just touching the edge of a bump and then you can move temporarily to a situation where it just slides or twitches a little bit.

Obviously if you're using the bike a bit - a bit of lean, some decent (but not excessive) corner speed then it feels a LOT different than pootling around at 3/10ths.

Maybe it's even because I backed off the spring preload a couple of clicks last night?

The important thing though is it doesnt mean you've lost control in any way. Even inexperienced riders will all have felt it touching a cats eye when changing lanes.

One thing that did worry me though in the OP - remember - tight lines up the inside of other riders means you've committed your life and theirs to you being able to hold that line.... and that they will hold their line. Even if you know your abilities do you know how they will behave when you poke a wheel up the inside of them?
  18. And praise be to the great god of double posting. AmAmenen