Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Trumph to go WSS 2008

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' at netrider.net.au started by cejay, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Triumph team up with SC Caracchi to go racing in 2008

Story Here

2. Finally we may get to see some serious co-ordinated factory racing development for the bike.

I personally suspect that it may be a case of too-little too-late, at least for this current first iteration of the 675cc triple concept. I suspect that it'll take them at least two years to get fully up to speed with race parts, and by the time Triumph finish playing catch-up in racing development, the others will have moved forwards yet again.

I don't hold too much hope for the current model (am open to be surprised though), but with some good feedback from racing development making it into the next model, then we might get to see something able to run with the front of the pack.

If they stick at it for another 3-4 years I reckon they've got a good chance. The 675cc triple engine concept is a winner, IMO, it's just that when at the pointy end of a super-sport race lineup, its lack of racing development will let it down.

3. So.................... Suzuki can now use their 750?

4. no suzuki can't use the I-4 750

rules generally are 2cyl to 750 but ducati won't race the 749 if it's still in production I'm not sure.

Kawasaki have gone back to 600cc and won't be racing the 636 anymore or manufacturing.

so it just leaves the 675 to prove itself against the other 600's.

2cyl - 750cc , 3 cyl - 675cc , 4 cyl - 600cc

5. Kawasaki never left 600cc to start with. They also never raced the 636, at least not in an official capacity. The 636 may have been raced in clubs, but it wasn't legal for supersport/superstock regulations.

For the entire time that the 636 was in production, Kawasaki were still producing a parallel 600cc ZX6RR (yes - the 2 R's are important in this case), and the ZX6RR was their homologated for 600cc capacity supersport racing class bike.

6. yeah sorry if I mislead, the 6rr was the only model raced by the official kawasaki team and privateers and the 636 was not eligible, at that level, given the 600cc I-4 rule

7. It was a tongue in cheek comment eluding to the fact that I don't believe they should be allowed to race. Nor should a 1200cc Ducati.

8. Depends on the "spirit" of the series. World Superbike, and World Supersport, both aim to be an inclusive series where bikes of similar peak power (in stock trim) may compete. That's the rules, and that's what the governing body is aiming to do - to provide a competitive series whereby a whole host of manufacturers and engine configurations may compete on a roughly even power:weight basis.

The world would be rather boring if it was always as formulaic as I4's only. We'd never get to see any other possibilities.

There are a number of fixed capacity series world-wide. If that's your thing, then go follow those. That's NOT what WSBK and WSS are aiming for though, and if you disagree with how they're running it, then feel free to vote with your eyes and stop watching it.

9. I agree unfortunately, money speaks volumes when it come to determining rules regarding a particular series.

Look at Ducati in World Superbike, they are the predominat backer of this series and hence receive considerations.

The whole control tyre debate in MOTGP. Michelin Against bridgestone against dunlop , whoever throws the most money at DORNA will receive the contract.

Honda pushing for the 800cc limit thinking that their technical and engineering prowess would see them at the pointy end of the field.

smaller capacity needs higher revs to produce power this is where honda thought they have the edge.

Getting back to the topic ,I hope that Triumph throw enough money at this.

10. This is still great news.

Now they just need to develop a litre bike based on the 675 so I can get one.

11. I'd happily settle for an 800cc version.

12. I would be guessing if they were going to try it they would leveredge teh current 1050 tripply for the purpose.

13. Rumours of a Daytona 1050 based upon the 675 have abounded for a while now. That is quite likely what they'll end up releasing, or as is my personal suspicion, a 1099cc version and then hassle to have 1100cc triples allowed in WSBK now that 1200cc twins are allowed.

I'm just making the comment that I believe that an 800cc version of the 675 putting down 125-130rwhp and weighing maybe 2-3kgs more would make for one extremely well balanced package, striking an ideal middle ground between super-sport nimbleness and superbike power. Would only need to make the existing 675 engine 10mm wider and 5mm taller to achieve an 800cc capacity.

The market being what is today though, means that we're not likely to see such a bike. I reckon the Ducati 848 will be the closest to what I mean. The GSXR750 is close too, but from all accounts is lacking in mid-range oomph. I would love to see an 800cc triple sitting in-between those two, and maybe spark a revival of the three-quarter weight category that history has passed over.

14. Triumph to go WSS 2008

15. The difference is the level of support. Triumph expressly didn't want to go racing with the 675, due to the effort, cost and risk involved. The solution they seem to have found is to strongly support a team in WSS where even the worst teams are extremly professional and competitive. I know that Paul is doing this on a shoestring and definitely not getting any major support.

16. Triumph to go WSS 2008

Dobbsy is a former Triumph factory test rider and engineer (8 years) and his wife worked in the drawing office for several years. They are getting plenty of support, but not financial.

Dobbsy nearly brought his bike to P.I. in March 2007 to race in the World Superbike support races, but local sponsorship was not forthcoming....from the people I thought would have the most to gain.

17. And you know that financial support is the biggest help anyone can get. Short of some hidden technical features of the engine (press the knob and get 10hp more), most performance mods are pretty well known and understood. Getting the finances to perform them is a different matter altogether.

Regardless, it's great to see another manufacturer in competition.