Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

True waterproof gloves??

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by taiheung, Jun 12, 2007.

1. So other than a latex washing glove, are there any real waterproof gloves?? I bought my first "waterproof set of gloves the other day in the middle of Sydney's storm. What a better chance to test them I figured. Big mistake! The gloves did technically keep my hands dry due to the "inner waterproof membrane" but that became totally useless after the rest of the glove soaked through and became sponges HOLDING water rather than repelling it.

The next day they were still wet, and I was forced to ride around with either my summer gloves or a pair of wet soggy winter gloves. So I called back and the guy told me I should have never been sold them, saying they are not waterproof at all. Then I call MCA Sydney and the guy says that waterproof gloves are a total joke claiming they don't exist!

So is this the truth? Is it just a matter of finding a glove that dries the fastest, or can I actually get a pair of waterproof gloves that will not only keep my hands dry, but stay rather dry themselves? (ie. keep my hands warm).

ps. Gloves were BMW All Round gloves ($100).
    I am looking at maybe changing them in for Aplinestar Tech Road gloves.

I figure there MUST be true waterproof gloves as I know ski gloves can do the job pretty well. Why can't the same rules be applied to riding gloves?
  2. Just tested my Alpinestar Jet Road gloves. I filled the bathroom sink full of water and then submerged my hands with the gloves on for 5 minutes underwater right up to the wrist. The glove kept my hands bone dry so if thats an indication it means that the Tech Roads would be very good in wet weather
  3. Did you squeeze/move your gloves while doing so?
    Interesting. The guy @ MCA did say that if I were to go for anything that they would be the way to go, but he did also say that they still didn't beat a latex rubber glove... hahaha.
  4. Yeah I did move them around. It seemed that there was tiny air bubbles coming out from around the stitching in the fingers. I guess they are not water tight but seriously if my hands can stay dry while moving them and clenching my fists underwater for 5 minutes I doubt they will have any trouble in a downpoor. Submerged in water has to be a lot worse then droplets of rain hitting the glove and the fact that my hands stayed bone dry I think they pass the test.
  5. The All Round gloves also keep your hands dry... but not warm.
    The glove soaks up water but there is a second internal layer.

This isn't the same is it? Or did the glove itself not soak up the water around it?
  6. It did but the internal liner kept my hands dry. I think there is not much difference between the Tech road and Jet road just the Tech road looks a bit better and has different knuckle protection. I think the insides of the glove is the same.

How much did you pay for the Tech Roads?
  7. Lets just say I knew a few places across Sydney I could have picked them up cheaper. :LOL: $179. I will be so shitted if I just paid an extra $80 and the BMW all rounders prove to be warmer. hahaha.
  8. I've got the BMW Pro Winter gloves - keep my hands dry and warm.
    The reason the gore-tex membranes are on the inside of the glove (and this is true for almost all gloves) is that you want the leather (or Cordura) on the outside since it is stronger. If you want to keep your hands warm then buy a pair of silk undergloves (make sure they are real silk - nothing else works as well).
  9. I walked into the bike shop with a fist full of $50's and said to the sales guy I want 100% water proof gear ,Jackets ,gloves ect.

He said............., if YOU find any, you let me know. :LOL: .

Nothing is 100% water proof he said ,but some gear is better than others.
  10. Won't the leather/cordura layer protect you where ever it is?
    So wouldn't it be better to have the waterproof layer on the outside and leather/cordura underneath? The only disadvantage is you'd have to replace the gloves if you had an off, but the pro of having real waterproof gloves would hugely outweigh that con. Just a thought.