Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Trucks and bikes?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by live4themoment, Jun 10, 2008.

1. I was just curious i was just watching for the 50th topic on ACA and today tonight about truck drivers bullying and harrasing cars. I just wanted to hear if anyone had any bad experiences with trucks while on bikes? From my own experience and i have only been riding for 2 years but i find on freeways and roads that i have never had any problem with trucks if anything they are more cautious then cars.
    For example when i was on P's and had to go at 90 down the freeway it was always cars coming right up my ass not indicating overtaking and then just pulling back in front of me with out indication. But with trucks they always pull out 100s of meters behind u then pull in the same distance in front of me.

Just curious as when i see it on tv i always think i know there would be bad truck drivers out there but personally on a bike i have never had a problem.
  2. I've actually found trucks to be pretty good too - provided you:
    a) stay out of their blind spot
    b) leave them the space they need in front
    I think most car drivers complaining of being "harrased" by trucks are those ignoring those two things.

Of course small trucks being driven by non-professionals, especially rentals, are a whole different story.
  3. I try and stay clear of trucks when on my bike. Either by speeding up if their right on my ass or slowing down if they are in front. I just don't trust truck drivers.
  4. Bloke i worked with a few years back whilst riding a harly had a atko truck with a dog (trailer) going down the M4 and then suddenly changed lanes right into his path, as a result of the dog running him over he now rides a wheel chair, and lost both legs + brain damage.

I'm sure the odds are low of this happening but the point is you need stay right away from trucks while on your bike.
  5. I've never had an issue with a truckie, and I've come across a shitload of em on the road the past few weeks with all the road works going on.
  6. I watched one lock up big time stopping at a set of lights on the weekend, loads of smoke and stoppde just in time. Luckily I watched from across the intersection.

My general experience has been good but limited (i'm trying to keep it that way).
  7. When I am driving my truck , I try to keep an eye out for what everyone else is doing , especially bike riders. It does piss me off when bike riders try to brake test me coming up to a set of lights , when they pull in front at the last minute. Had a scooter rider do it to me several weeks ago, last minute they cut in front, from my left blind spot, I hit the air horn to let them know that they have stopped where i was about to, the rider looked up and obviously thought "Oh shit, I better move" , but when they moved , they hit a couple of pedestrians that where crossing the road, no one was hurt. Sometimes I wonder if people know which one will win when it comes down to it, for example , at the time I would have been about 6 ton loaded against say scooter and rider, approx 200 kgs.
  8. never had an issue with truckies.ive found that if you give a loaded semi trailer the respect it demands on the roads,the drivers watch out for you.i deal with truck drivers everyday at work and some of the stories they tell me regarding the complete stupidity of car driver's (almost) astounds me.some people treat driving on the roads as a game but its a game that riders will always lose.
  9. An exellent formula taught to me many years back that has served me well:
    Tonnage = right of way!
  10. Most professional truckies are exactly that, professional. I drove Semi's up and down the Pensioners Hwy (Pacific Hwy) Sydney- Brisbane for a a couple of years in the early 90's to help a mate out who had lost his license and also to give me a job. I found most drivers either rode bikes or had an interest in them or appreciated fine machinery, ie: Hot Rods etc. Give them some room, u won't have any problems.
    Just as a point of interest, there was a female riding instructor from Canberra, but teaching, I think around Campbelltown in the late 90's, anyway, I remember having a "debate" with her as she reckoned a fully loaded Semi could pull up under brakes quicker than a bike or a car for that matter, WTF!. Which direction would the trailer end up?! Where would the load end up?!. I am aware now that some new truck/trailer combo's are running Disc brakes & Bias braking systems etc, but that would only be a small percentage of what's out there now.

Tex & Bundy
  11. Truck drivers don't tend to be as inattentive as car drivers, so as a percentage they cause me less hassle. In fact as a percentage I'd say more are more courteous than car drivers.

Now comes the but. I have come across aggressive truck drivers in Sydney. I've seen one truck driver spit on a bike rider for filtering. I've seen another drive a bike rider into the drainage ditch on the m5, just because he didn't like him using the service lane. I've had quite a few deliberately block my path when filtering etc.

The other thing that annoys me is them using their cabin as a mobile office whilst driving. I don't get hung up by automatic car drivers using a mobile, but a 30 tonne, 21 speed truck, maneuvering in traffic . . . .

Then there's their tendency to use the right lane on motorways.

Still it's better than it was 5 years ago. There were a lot of ratbag drivers in Sydney then. Now they've followed the mining boom out west, bro.
  12. +1

I drive an 8.5 tonne bus for work. A lot of road users just don't realise that the airbrakes take a second to kick in. If a car cuts me off and brakes I don't have instant response from the brake pedal so it's going to look like harassment as I flash my lights to let them know to get out of my way.
  13. I've grown up around truck drivers, including those of semis. Of course nobody notices the courteous professional majority, and forgets about what an exhausting stressful of a job it can be overall and how difficult nimble vehicles can make life for trucks.

I've almost been killed by a semi in the Citylink tunnel - he was well and truly speeding, coming up behind me, and got on his horn at the last moment but was not going to slow or change lanes (I keep an excellent eye on what's behind and around me - this guy came upon me fast!). I jumped out of his way at the last moment, without time to even check if there was a car in the lane beside us. Of course his rego was covered by mud and unreadable. The thing is, I've had less dramatic versions of this since, on the Hwy between Swan Hill and Mildura while in the car. This silly psychology developing on our roads, where is I'm bigger you'd better simply move out of my way or you'll get hit, is present in some truckies it seems.
  14. there are more idiots in cars, than idiots in trucks as a percentage of road representation. in my experience, even when a truck collides with a car, it is rarely ever the truck drivers fault. as for riders & trucks, most of my truckies ride, and can somehow even see a nice bike in their blind spot :? a bit like attractive women on footpaths :? :? :LOL:
  15. The overnight interstate ones on the Hume are fun to be around when hoofing it down to Melbourne, with the headlight-signalling and so on to communicate when it's safe to merge back across after overtaking, etc. :)
  16. I spent half the day looking at truck drivers resume's for my old job, and reviewing their licences. More truck drivers than not ride, it seemed.

I've got more faith in them doing the right thing than the average car driver, thats for sure.
  17. Ive had no real trouble with trucks on journeys to melbourne down the monash.

Only thing that pisses me off is when they sit in the right lane. Often during the day there will be trucks(big ass ones) taking up all three lanes down the monash. Makes it very hard to split.

The best way to not get killed on the freeway is to just ride faster than most. Burn through traffic, slow down when you get some space to yourself and just make sure no one has a chance to kill you. A litre bike also helps i reckon.

Whenever i try driving to the limit im just surrounded by clowns trying to kill me. So instead il just hit the throttle to stay out of trouble.

As other have said, when dealing with trucks dont ride next to them preventing them from merging, dont sit in their blind spot or try to brake test them and your fine. They generally are way more predictable then most.

The worst drivers are unpredictable ones!
  18. When I'm flying down the Monash I try to remember the general rule: "Don't fcuk with a truck."
  19. For my 2 cents, SAFEWAY trucks (supermarket Supply), I have as yet never had one that was on or under the speed limit, always over by 10 %, they are the one truck I always get away from, they across the board do not drive safe, how ever, other trucks all good, even when i was on the TTR250 doing 80 trying to get off the road to the side off the road to let them pass..
    I tend to use the lights flash to let them know when they can pull in fornt off me,
  20. I find when a new courier company emerges the drivers drive like nuts for about 6 months. I think they employ a lot of first time driver and it takes them a while to settle down or move on.

I remember it happening with Couriers Please (more vans than trucks) and more recently with some of the changes in Toll, Toll Express and Toll Ipec.

I also find the country Auspost drivers are a bit nuts. I had one almost run me into a guardrail in my car once, because he refused to let me merge despite the fact I was well ahead of him and up to speed.