Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Troublesome VN800

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Vulcanise, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Hi all,

I've got a 95 VN800 Custom that I seemed to have damaged by running Premium fuel in it. Apparently it causes a carbon build up. I had some issues with flooding and after rebuilding (then replacing) the carby it ran fine for a while. Then one morning it flooded itself again. I was about to have it put on a dyno and tweaked a little and put on new pipes, etc. so I had it sent straight to the mechanics. They found that it had some leakage and quoted a fairly hefty price for a top end rebuild. I'm sure that's one way to fix it but what's nagging me is that it went from running absolutely fine (with no apparent loss of power) to just stopped. I'm thinking I've got a carbon build up on the valves l but I don't exactly know given it's not been opened up to find out. I'm wondering if any of you have had a similar experience and/or could offer an opinion so I can work out if it's worthwhile spending the cash at the mechanics. I've since moved on and bought a new VN900 (loving it!) and have the VN800 just sitting there. I was thinking of selling it as is but I have this nagging feeling that the problem is fairly easily fixed. It felt great to ride right up until it stopped. Any help would be appreciated. And I guess if anyone's interested I may consider selling it.