Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Trouble with the old Spada...

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by suzyq, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Hi Guys,

I know I haven't been around much lately, but I've been thinking of yas..

I've got a bit of trouble with the Spada which Tim, my son, has inherited.. yep he's got his L's! :shock: Anyway he rode her to town the other day and on the way home couldn't change down gears. On the advice of a bike knowledgable friend, he topped up the oil.

Then today when he rode it to town again it started blowing a lot of smoke. I suggested he had overfilled her and to drain some oil and refill it correctly. He did that and the amount of smoke did decrease, however he says she has lost power. He was only riding around our driveway (we live on acreage) but says 1st gear is very sluggish.

Any ideas?? Thanks guys.

PS We've moved to the bush and I miss you all!
  2. I would assume blowing smoke would equate to maybe piston rings? low compression could also equate to a loss of power, though I am not to sure if it would be noticeable...
  3. Could have fouled up the plugs with the excess oil. Pull them and have a look. You may need to move the radiator (but you shouldn't need to drain it) to get to the one on the front cylinder.

I'm not sure if your downshifting problem has been solved, but I've had a similar (but probably unrelated) issue. In my case, one of the bolts on my kickstand started coming loose and started rubbing up against the gear shifter. Might want to give it a look over if you haven't already.