Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Trouble With My Tail Light !!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by wonderboy4, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Hi,

I've recently had a couple of bulbs blow on my NINJA 250R (headlight low beam & and tail light), Havn't got around to checcking what bulb I need to get to replace the headlight (if anyone knows that would be much appreciated), but today I purchased a replacement bulb for the tail light.

It has 2 fillaments one for normal illumination and a second one that comes on for the brake so it's extra bright.

The problem is that the light is always at full brightness (both fillaments on) even when the brake is not on. I did check the original bulb and the one I bought as a replacement is the same wattage and voltage, so I'm a bit stumped.

Any ideas?

2. Was it working normally before? I had the same thing happen with my tail light, it was blown, I replaced it and it was at full brightness constantly. My front brake light switch was broken.

3. oh I see, I do actually rember at one stage (quite some months ago now) that the brake light did actually work normally before.

Interesting you should say that, because for all I know the fault could have happened any time between then and now.

Where abouts is the front brake light switch? is it easy to check?

4. Checking things like brake lights, indicators, brakes etc before you ride off is a good idea.

Don't know if anything is different with the Ninja 250R so I could be wrong, could be something completely different etc.

With the bike off, when you pull/release the front brake lever do you hear a clicking sound? That is the sound of the brake light switch as the brake lever depresses and then releases it, causing the brake light to go on/off. The front brake light switch should be around the master cyclinder, when you pull the brake lever it stops touching the switch and that turns the brake light on. If something is broken or the lever doesn't touch/rest against the switch when it is released/not braking, the brake light will stay on.

I can't explain anything for crap atm. If I am wrong someone please point it out.

5. Thanks deadsy, I'll try to have a look at that and let you know how I go. Cheers!

6. Hey,

Just wanted to let you know that I managed to fix the problem! my mate came over and he was the one who noticed that the back tail light switch was loose (it has threading that brings the switch housing more downwards when you screw it tighter, but not too tight or it has the same effect as too loose) and this had worked it's way loose I suppose. So it turned out to be a very quick and painless fix (so relieved I didn't have some major electrical issue!).

Just wanted to say thanks for putting me onto the right track with your post about the switches, CHEERS!

7. Far as I'm aware the 250R headlights are H7 12v 55w.

8. No probs. :)

9. Thanks, I found this out the other day, but I appreciate the (accurate) response.

Cheers!