Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Trouble fitting throttle to new bar

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by JP, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Ok, so I got the old bar off (for those that have been following my 1st armature mod) and everything is going nicely. However I've run into a bit of a problem. Before I bought the bar, I did a bit of research and found that almost all bike bars are 7/8th's diameter, and confirmed that the VTR250 was 7/8th's also. I can fit the plastic tube that the grip wraps around ok, but it seems the new bar is just a tiny bit wider, and the throttle won't shut by itself.

Pic of what I'm talking about:

At this stage I haven't tightened anything up, but I'm thinking if the throttle won't shut by itself now, why would it once everything is on and tightened up properly. Any thoughts people?
  2. Did you lube it? Did you misalign any cables?
  3. :oops: What kind of lube does it need? Will Vaseline be ok?
  4. Some (most) throttle and control bodys have a little nob that sits in a hole on the top or bottom of the bar to stop the switch gear and throttle moving you may have to check the old bar then drill a hole the same size and same place in the new bar.. :!:
    If its got one and its not in a hole it wont close up ..Dont remove the nob as you will have trouble getting it tight enough to stop it moving ...
    Also its not that important to line up the switch body(indicators side) but it is important to line the throttle up or you will end up with a bent wrist at full throttle ..
    Edit -add....I see in the pic you have your brake lever above your throttle cable I think its the other way around on that bike ...Good reason to take a photo before you pull it apart ..makes it easyier to put back together..
  5. I forgot all about the locating pins! That explains why I had trouble tightening the screws. Yep, in the pic I hadn't assembled everything back together properly, and yes I took a pic beforehand so I made sure everything went on properly. Thanks for you help Traviss, although I have a feeling it's not going to get finished today.
  6. Vas is fine.