Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Trouble changing from 1st to 2nd

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Sooty, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Trying to decide if it's just bad technique or oil woes.

I hop on the bike and go for a gentle cruise around town - no issues at all. Do a run up the highway and back and I'm in false neutral city when idling back through town.

I'm positive shifting from 1st to 2nd - I really jam that leaver up because I know between 1/2/3 the box is a bit bitchy particularly at high rpm. Probably just an old bike thing?
  2. try this if it isnt a bike problem, clutch in, shift up, and while keeping the pressure upwards on your upshift, release clutch, relax foot, what most people do is, clutch in, quick shift up, relax foot, clutch out, see how that goes
  3. Cool, I'll give that a go.
  4. When I first started riding, I think I had a similar problem. Going from 1-2-3, when I clicked the shift lever up, I wasn't letting the lever return back down all the way, so I would shift out of first into second, but then try to shift into third but realise I was stuck in second. Took me a while to figure out what I was doing wrong.
    So make sure your letting the lever return back down all the way after you have clicked up a gear. Not sure if that's what your doing wrong though.