Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Trivial stationary questions....

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ~DadAgain~, Nov 5, 2008.

1. The lights switch to red in front of you and you know this set has a long phase so you're gonna be stopped for a while do you:

a) Sit there in 1st, left foot on ground right foot on back brake, left hand squeezing clutch, right hand squeezing the front brake to make sure you dont go anywhere if your clutch cable busts...

b) Slip into neutral to avoid stressing the clutch cable (and your left hand) and just hope you get into 1st and away from Captain Pajero and his mates behind you quickly when the lights change....

c) Hold the bike at bite-point of the clutch in 1st so you can just tap the breaks for that lovely 'flashing breaklight' effect in the hope that Mr Pajero behind you notices and pulls up before rear-ending...

Bit of a joke - but there is a serious side - I tend to be closer to a) than anything else although the amount of break coverage varies. On flat ground I do flash my break lights with my back break until someone is stopped behind me (then I keep both breaks on), but if I'm on a hill I just clamp on the breaks (dont wanna be rolling backwards just so I get flashing breaklights!).
    Whats safer - flashing breaklights and increasing exposure to risk of clutch cable snap - or no flashing but fully locked-down breaks increasing exposure to rear-ender?

Any thoughts?
  2. d) Turn the bike off to stop it overheating.
  3. If the light turns red as I'm approaching it, i'll put it in neutral once i've stopped. Give my hands and feet a rest.

If I don't know when the light turned red, or I am at the front of the queue, I'll leave it in first, clutch pulled completely in.
  4. I do pretty much a) + c). But I dont hold the clutch just to the point where it's biting(I dont want to wear the clutch.) For C) I have to be at a point where it's very wide road with minimal road lighting.
  5. Usually a) because i like to be ready to party but sometimes b) if theres a pretty P plater in a starlet next to me and i need to bring out the coool lean back while i give her a wink through my tinted visor so she doesn't see and i don't need to feel shy.

Although on occassion c) because its great to look like a wanker rocking back and forth on a slight hill, oh and it will probably cause the P plater or "daddy cool" to drag you off the lights :LOL:

All in all I would have to say mostly a and hardly c but i like to eat everyones pudding and i tick all the boxes in multiple choice boxes...not because im cool (because im not) but because i can :cool:
  6. By and large, I favour b) although it is dependent on circumstances. eg, I'll be more wary of putting it in neutral in the wet, for instance.

Reasoning? I've had more broken clutch cables than I've had shunt near misses, avoidable or not.

Indeed, up until a month ago, I'd never come close to being shunted on the bike whilst stationary at lights in 20 years. I have now suffered a major shunt, but as it happened at speed in moving traffic I don't consider my traffic light technique to be relevant in that case.

I'm also an assertive filterer, so much of the time I'm buffered anyway.

Finally, I tend to be careful about my lane positioning and lane choice. There are a few junctions in Perth where there is a lane shared by right turners and straight through traffic. It strikes me that sitting in that lane waiting for the green arrow is a perfect recipe for getting a car up the clacker at 80 km/h, so I refuse to use it.

I'm not claiming correctness. It's just the way I do things which seems to work for me.
  7. it may just be me, but even in a cage i can tell about 3-4 seconds before the lights are about to change...either from traffic flow or from watchign the lights at the intersection for the other direction. Aint hard. So i'd be clickin into neutral if i've just pulled up at the red.
  8. Watch the lights going the other directions to see when its going to turn green, so you'll have warning for getting into first.

Typically as soon as I've got a car stopped behind me I'll relax (as I know they aren't likely to slam into me now), I'll put it into neutral and pimp lean off the bike :grin:
  9. e) Lay the bike down on it's side so it's resting on it's stunt cage.
  10. I sometimes make my taillight a disco ball lol.. flash flash flash flash flash flash flash. Just for shits and to keep idiots rear-ending me
  11. i sit and wait near the friction point in 1st until the car behind me has come to a complete stop eying the mirrors off the entire time. If its a long change i usually slip into neutral weather depending... cold/raining, dont move an inch, hot/sunny, relax, sit back, show those cages how cool you are on your bike and they are stuck in the cage not enjoying the freedom you are! :p :p :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  12. What browny said, especially with the wary eye on the mirrors.

A prolonged stop will see me change to nuetral, not only to save on clutch cable and clutch hand strain, but because even with the cluch pulled in, the clutch plates are rotating against each causing a poomteenth of wear and heating up oil. In nuetral the plates are packed together without relative movement and the input shaft is what does the spinning.

:LOL: at Deadsy.

Devo's comment, prolly made tongue in cheek, is interesting. Ever noticed a hot bike turn it's fans on automatically after you've switched off the bike? That's because the temperature will still rise for a short while after a bike has been turned off.... except now you're draining the battery rather than stealing energy from the alternator. If a bike gets too hot, it might not start. If you turn it off early enough though, you shouldn't have a problem... but hey, I'm at an intersection so I'd rather have the engine on and be ready to get moving.
  13. The Bandit has a hydraulic clutch, so I'm not worried about clutch cable issues, but it's also heavy enough that I'll usually click into neutral to give the left hand a break once I have at least one car stopped behind me as a buffer. I usually tend to use either front or back brake but not both... if the bike is in neutral I'll have my foot on the back brake and both hands off the bars sitting up to give my back a break.

(dammit, I've seen so many illiterates talking about putting on 'the breaks' here that the correct spelling looks wrong!)
  14. PS I prefer mechanical pencils to ordinary ones, and ruled paper to plain, and I luurve PostIts.

15. f) Huh, stopping? :grin:
  16. I did a on my test, cos I'd been told to stop in gear on my test. Sensor wasn't working so the lights never went green, had to wait for 4 changes of lights before the examiner directed me not to turn. In real life I'd have pulled forward and got the car behind me to trigger the sensor.

He told me off for not putting it in neutral when I was stopped for ages. I said I would but I was told not to. Conversation didn't really go anywhere and I didn't do very well on that test. (Did much better next time though).
  17. If it's a long wait, b).

Then I keep watch on the crossing traffic and when traffic starts to slow or I can see their traffic lights turn amber then into first and wait for the green.
  18. I do a) until there is a cager that has stopped behind me, then b) and watch the cross lights then pop it back down into 1st when the cross lights turn red.

if it is on totally flat ground, and im bored (short attention span)

oh, yeah, if its flat and im bored, ill sit there and flash my brake lights. sometimes i try to spell rude words at cagers. ive probably pissed off a lot of ex-boy scouts :D

19. Red light?

What's that?
  20. {flame suit on}

BTW, I think the 'broken clutch cable' thing is way over-hyped. By far the most likely effect of a snapped clutch cable, if you're just sitting there at idle, not revving it, is a lurch forward of a foot or less and a prompt stall. Don't believe me? Once you're confident of your ability to hold the bike up, go to a car park or something and experiment a bit. Sit on the bike at idle and drop the clutch. What happens? I'll be astonished if you're catapulted forward far enough to put you in an intersection if you were at a red light. (And if so, maybe get your idle checked.) Of course it makes sense to have the brakes on anyway, because the ground is seldom 100% flat anyway, but fear that a clutch cable fault is going to toss you into cross traffic should be *way* down the list of worries.

(I recall one horror story from here of someone's mate ending up under a train due to a clutch cable issue, and I don't mean to diminish that story, but I'd still maintain that he must have been revving it, or had some other freakish combination of bad luck.)