Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Triumph Trophy 1200 (2013)

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Lazy Libran, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Coming in 2013

As worst kept secrets go, Triumph’s new 1200 Trophy possibly deserves its own trophy.

But now it’s a hushed secret no more. It's official. It will be launched into the market in September of this year. This is also the time when we find out how much it will cost. Our estimations put the pricing around £14,000 for the entry-level Trophy, aimed at BMW's K1600GT which is £15,495.00 OTR and the R1200RT at £12,595.00 OTR.

The Trophy shares the same 1215cc three-cylinder engine as the Tiger Explorer, but sixth gear will be at a higher ratio on the tourer. Service intervals have been set at 10,000 for minor and 20,000 for the major.

During the presentation Triumph revealed that they are aiming to sell only 2,500 of both models, globally in the first year.

We didn’t get the chance to ride the new bike at it’s unveiling in Austria today but we got to see it and listen to a presentation about its development, purpose and role within the market.

For now, here’s the official specification and a full gallery of the Triumph Trophy 1200.

TRIUMPH 1200 TROPHY/SE in italics

Engine and transmission

Engine: 1,215cc, three-cylinder four stroke. 12 valves, DOHC
    Bore x stroke: 85 x 71.4mm
    Fuelling: Ride-by-wire fuel injection
    Exhaust: Stainless steel 3-1
    Final drive: Shaft drive
    Clutch: Wet multi-plate
    Gearbox: Constant mesh six-speed
    Oil capacity: Four litres

Frame: Twin-spar aluminium beam
    Swingarm: Single-sided cast aluminium with shaft drive
    Front wheel: Cast aluminium five-spoke 17 x 3.5in
    Rear wheel: Cast aluminium five-spoke 17 x 6.0in
    Front tyre: 120/70 ZR17
    Rear tyre: 190/55 ZR17
    Front forks: WP USD with 130mm of travel and manually adjustable rebound damping. WP USD forks with 127mm of travel and electronically adjustable rebound damping sport/normal/comfort
    Rear suspension: WP monoshock with remote oil reservoir, manually adjustable hydraulic preload, manually adjustable rebound damping and 120mm of travel. WP monoshock with remote oil reservoir, electronically adjustable hydraulic preload (1up, 1up+luggage, 2up) electronically adjustable rebound damping (sport, normal, comfort) 120mm of travel
    Front brake: Twin 320mm rotors, twin Nissin four-piston calipers. Linked system - Rear brake pedal partially applies front brakes. Non-switchable ABS. Nissin 14mm master cylinder
    Rear brake: Single 282mm disc, Nissin sliding twin-piston caliper. Non-switchable ABS
    Instrument display: Analogue speedometer and tachometer with multi-function LCD display with ambient light-level compensation. LCD display is for trip info (x2) gear position, fuel gauge, distance to empty, service indicator, clock, ambient temp, frost warning and heated grips/seats display. Dash also features headlight adjustment, hazard warning button, cruise control function. TPMS status, TES status, audio functions

Dimensions and capacities

Length: 2,235mm (87.9in)
    Width: 975mm (38.4in)
    Height: 1,435mm (56.5in)
    Seat height: 800-820mm (31.5 – 32.3in)
    Wheelbase: 1,542mm (60.7in)
    Rake/trail: 27 degrees, 119mm
    Fuel tank: 26 litres (6.9 US gals)
    Weight: 301kgs (662lbs)
    Pannier capacity: 31 litres each (8.2 US gals)
    Pannier max load: 10kgs (22lbs)

Max power: 134PS/132bhp/99KW @ 8,900RPM
    Max torque: 120Nm/89ft/lbs

Features and benefits

Coded key immobiliser.
    Ride by wire throttle.
    Linked brakes.
    Non switchable ABS.
    Electronically adjustable screen with memory function.
    Sealed, automatically locking storage binnacle with integrated 12V socket.
    Underseat storage.
    Rider and pillion 12v sockets.
    Self-cancelling indicators with manual over-ride.
    Cruise control.
    Switchable Traction Control – always default to ‘on’.
    Dedicated D-lock storage under seat.
    Quick release mountings for accessory tank bag.
    Dedicated sat-nav mounting point.
    Electronically adjustable headlamp.
    Centre stand.
    Audio system, TPMS, TES, 2x 20 Watt speakers with digital signal processing and three band (bass, mid, treble) equalisation with automatic volume control.
    USB port with flash drive and MP3 compatability.
    iPhone and iPod compatability.
    FM/MW/AM radio with 15 presets per band.
    RDS functionality.
    TA capability.
    Auxiliary input to allow sat nav to be played through speakers.
    Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR providing output to two headsets using A2DP profile.
    Incoming phone call support.
    Low voltage detection (automatic shut down to protect battery)

2. Looks awful, but Triumph are building great bikes these days...
  3. I'd be surprised if it turns out to be that much more expensive than an RT; the RT is the natural target for this thing.

It even looks like one.
  4. Looks bloated like a BMW. Shame, I was liking the new triumphs.
  5. Hubby had a much loved Trophy 990 til it died a couple of years ago. It was big and heavy, but it got the job done, and very smartly too.
  6. I've generally liked the 'new' Triumphs since they started making them and I've bought and owned a couple as well but their latest trend of 'bigger is better' is going backwards.

First the Thunderbird, then the Explorer and now the Trophy... all of them worse bikes than the lighter, more versatile mid size versions in the same segments that Triumph was already building.

Still... I'm sure they'll sell a few to people who just have to have the largest instead of the best (gold wing anyone?).
  7. Triumph's recent sucess has been based on leaving the expensive innovation to other manufactures, and then incorporating these technologies once they have proven reliable and usefull over time. This has allowed them to focus on building solid bikes and engines at a competitive price point by not having to pass on on massive R&D costs to consumers.

They obviously see the adventure bikes as a growth market (as do most manufactures at the moment), as well as full dress tourers - hence the recent Tiger and Trophy models.

They will still make cracking smaller bikes like the Street Triple and Daytona, just don't expect any wild departures from true and tested genres because that's not their business model.
  8. You can still get the recent Sprint GT for less $ if you want smaller and sportier model that can tour in comfort. A redesigned Tiger 1050 Sport is supposed to be on the way as well, which offers a lot of choice from one company. I don't see the issue with them adding this to the top end of the range for the big tourer market.

I'm not entirely sure it's as bulky as all that for a full dress tourer, given how the Tiger Explorer with the same engine is impressively narrow at the seat and in the frame, including the engine itself. There are other bits sticking out, but they look all the more so because of the narrow engine and chassis. And the big Tiger is a real cracker, according to pretty much everyone who has tested or bought one.

Given Triumph's recent form, I'd be surprised if this one doesn't get it just right for a lot of people in the market for this class of bike. I don't get the point of the common gripes from a lot of people on various forums who aren't in the market for a Goldwing, BMW RT, FJR 1300 etc.

Of course, you could always Streetfighter one...
  9. I copied my post over from the OzStoc re this bike.

"Can 't complain about the looks and at unless you saw the 1300 next to one of those trumpy things you might be forgiven for it's similar appearance.
    Cruise control even as dealer fitted option should have been the go with Honda ST1100 and 1300 for those that wanted it.
    Going from a V4 to a straight three seems a backward step so I wouldn't consider it. For me 12 volt power, GPS mounting and maybe gearshift indicator I'd use.
    I all ready have traction control..........its all ways on and never activated in six years..........probably why the 1300 didn't have it.......lol
    Nothing new with ABS and Linked brakes either, so it's really only a few electonic items that we don't have anyway."'
  10. For comparrison, here is one of the old Meriden Triumph Trophys:

I think they messed up their naming scheme.