Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Triumph Tiger 1050, 50,000km 3 year review

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Spots, May 20, 2011.

1. Happy 3rd pickup day, Tiger. ;)

Random tiger owner. by Spots_NR, on Flickr

I've now had my Tiger 1050 for 3 years and 50,000km, which is a little embarressing seeing as I did 45,000km in 15 months on a VTR250, but let's not dwell on that. :p

Years ago I wrote this excessively verbose 1800km review:

3 year summary?
    * Semi-faired sports-tourer for tall bastards
    * Tractable Speed Triple engine with so-flat-you-can-eat-off-it torque 'bench', not curve, from 3000 to redline; 125rwhp with the "offroad" muffler and accompanying tune.
    * No catalytic converter on Australian Tigers = moaaar horsepower, and delightful overrun popping and crackling with the glasspack muffler
    * Relatively soft medium-travel suspension swallows up B-road imperfections like a boss; The Tiger 1050 is ideal for hustling through Tasmania's (and the rest of Australia's) crappy B-roads and remote mountain passes at good pace
    * Ridiculous maximum lean-angle and access to common sportsbike tyres despite touring-bike looks
    * Comfortable mostly-upright seating position for touring; 835mm seat height gives the rider such a high-up view over traffic that commercial pilots will immediately feel right at home
    * Pillion seat has generous, comfortable grab-handles and relatively low pegs
    * 5.1L/100km interstate freeway cruise :)
    * 6.0L/100km interstate backroad hooliganism :D

* Without exaggeration, the 1050's projector headlights are useless for even remotely spirited cornering at night time. They don't spill enough light "upwards"
    * Windshield works perfectly for two riders on this planet and severely buffets/deafens everyone else (note lack of windshield in above photograph)
    * Rear suspension damping a bit underdamped for trips far beyond the national speed limit, particularly with a pillion/heavy luggage
    * No catalytic converter on Australian Tigers = friends refuse to let you lead the group due to risk of benzene poisoning. :(
    * W-i-i-i-i-d-e handlebars limit filtering opportunities
    * Huuuuge high-mounted can makes hard pannier options look goofy/be impractically wide/waste space
    * Tiger 1050 is one of the first alternate-fuel motorcycles; consumes rear brakepads rather than 95 octane petrol
    * Have ridden 30km past "0km remaining" without running out of fuel. Don't tell fibs, fuel-sender! :(
    * 7.6L/100km city crawl :(

* While in Tasmania, discovered that two out of the 700 tiny sump bolts had gone missing and the seal was weeping oil; replaced bolts
    * One lowbeam headlight blew after 2 years or so, replaced by self.
    * Stock battery seems to die after about a year and a half, two years?

I've enjoyed owning it. The Tiger 1050's not the best at anything but it's pretty good at pretty much everything a sports-tourer could be expected to do, especially when the road surface turns to shit.

The question is, whether to keep it for a few more years, or trade it for a more-purposeful Street Triple 675 or a more-offroad-capable Tiger 800XC. ;)
  2. Great review again Spots, thanks for sharing!
  3. The first time I saw you on that bike I just knew you'd keep it for a long time.
  4. Get an 800XC, an F800GS and an R1200GS, ride the heck out of all of them for a month then tell me which is best? That's the winning plan :)