Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Triumph Thruxton, Bonneville or Moto Guzzi V7?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by MeltingDOg, Dec 14, 2012.

1. OK, so I am considering spending a good deal of money and getting one of the above. I really love classic bikes and cafe racers and, in the past, have experimented with old bikes and modding to limited success. Also, I dont have the time to put into them, so I am thinking about just getting a new, reliable, modern classic.

Has anyone owned or had experience with the above bikes? What are they like to live with?

I use my bike everyday, to get to work, shopping, big trips etc. Probably put at least 20klm on the odo each day. Would the above bikes be all right for daily use?

What issues have you encountered? Are they reliable, easy to service and parts easily available?

Which bike would you recommend? (I'm leaning more towards the Triumphs).

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
  2. Not having owned any but from friends experiences cant go past a trumpy, have heard some only minor issues with the thruxton, if it was me would go the bonnie!
  3. I considered getting a Thruxton because I do like the look of them, but when I tested one out it just didn't feel right. That's a purely subjective thing of course, but I even though I wanted to like it I just couldn't get interested in riding it. Of course having read Quarterwit's rather good review of his Bonneville, I'm somewhat glad I didn't buy one:

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Guzzi direction myself hopefully sometime in the new year. The V7 Racer seems a little "overdone" and pretentious to me though, so I'd be inclined to opt for the basic Stone edition and just make a few minor mods (though I'm more tempted by the Bellagio).

Of course I've also been hoping that Kawasaki Australia will get their shit together at some point and bring the cafe racer version of the W800 out here:
    Since that'd probably be my pick if it was available here, subject of course to whether it was interesting to ride or not.
  4. The parts on the W800 cafe style seen here in the pic are separately available (it's just a different seat and a bikini fairing, nothing else). You could source them directly either from Japan or the UK (they have them listed there on their website).
  5. I'd be inclined to go for the new V7 over the Bonnie-based models, as nice as they look.

Or you can look for some more info on the new Enfield. Harris frame. Paoli suspension, lighter and more cc, as well as some useful options (explained in the clip) -

Very likely well cheaper than the V7 if it comes here, but the Guzzi with the latest improvements is on a whole other level - twin, 750cc and so on.
  6. You still wouldn't get the black forks/brakes/exhaust/etc. though. Those, plus the coloured wheels, are only on the "limited edition" W800. Which we also don't get here.

So best you could manage is something that looks like this:
    But even that's not offered here. Yeah you can order stuff from overseas (including non-genuine parts), but same could be said for a Bonnie or V7 yet we still get the factory cafe racer versions here anyway.
  7. Do you know if they've improved on the ridiculously short service intervals they used to have?

I actually don't mind the look of that myself (and it's the first I've seen of it). But I'd like something I can work on - not have to work on.
  8. I find the Thruxton surprisingly good in the flesh and surprisingly comfortable and light.

I can't get out of my head, however, that it misses the point of the old british twins.

The Guzzi, on the other hand, is a lot lighter than the old 850s and I would very much consider it.

Then again I wouldn't knock back a Thruxton for the right price.

The w800 has come down in price after some initial ridiculousness. it really is the sensible choice.

And don't' forget the vt750s. Quite fat and a stupidly small tank, but certainly worth considering.
  9. No idea about the Enfield beyond what's new in that link, but a major service would probably take about 23 minutes. But if they're sending them to the U.S. they'll get a lot of attention, so they'd better be decent or they'll crash and burn pretty quick, I would think.

Also, more on the OP, I also just remembered the recent leaks from Triumph, including a new Cafe Racer. Only a test mule in the shots, but talk of being an improvement on the current offerings. Looks like Ohlins suspension in one photo. If it's half as good as everything else they've done lately it would mean a welcome and overdue update of at least one of their Twins -

10. Original source for those pics actually describes it as being a new Street Tracker, rather than a Cafe Racer. So possibly more likely to extend the Bonnie range rather than be a replacement for the Thruxton.
  11. I tried a Bonnie and really liked it except for the weight. Standard they are quite porky, even tho they look quite good.

Power was quite nice, very easy to ride, almost cruiser-y to me.

Didn't try the Thruxton, low handlebars just don't do it for me.

I also test rode a couple of the V7 Classics.

They look so bloody beautiful! Sadly, they perform more like a CB250 Honda.

Somehow meeting Euro5 specs has killed the lovely wee engine.

I still might, if I find a cheap enough one, get a V7, but buying a new bike then having to spend serious money to make it go properly (not extreme, just PROPERLY) seemed over the top to me.

I've ridden a friend's slightly older Nevada, so I know what the small block Guzzi motor should do.
  12. Yeah, I saw that originally, then found the unpixellated pics in that blog. As long as it's lighter, goes harder and handles better than the Thruxton and it's ponderous ilk, they can call it the "Sid Snot Deidre Loosener" for all I'd care.

It's getting harder the meet the emissions targets for air-cooled, which also tends to mean you're little more than a breathing and mixture-enrichening away from a worthwhile improvement.

Also, the newest V7 models have had a good lift in power, along with other enhancements -

13. If it was my money.......and based only on the three choice in the OP........I'd buy the Guzzi V7 in a heartbeat.
  14. As suggested above, consider the W800, the build quality is amazing (far better than the options you're considering and has slightly more BHP, I went for a test ride on one last week and the thing just talks to you - it's such a friendly little bike the engine noise is great.
    Other plus points are Jap reliability, the aftermarket scene is huge and it's a really good price.
  15. My brother had a Thruxton for 2 years and just sold it.
    He could never get used to the riding position, it was a love-hate relationship.
    The Bonneville will definitely be more comfortable.
    You really need to test ride them
  16. You could always pick up a second hand Guzzi 750 Breva. There are several on Bik Sales with low km. The seat is substantially better than either the Bonny or the Guzzi V7c but it has the same motor as the V7. I have one and have done 40,000km on it in less than 18 months. It's nearly 50kg less than the Bonny and very easy to throw around. Plus both wheels are 17 inch, not an 18 and a 19 as on the Triumphs.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. For what you are looking at, some things about the Bonnie will shit you. There's no helmet lock and a the fuel cap doesn't lock. EFI is shonky and the stock suspension is dreadful - so damn bad that you'll have to spend no small amount of money to get it fixed nearly immediately.
  18. #18 mattb, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
    The 2009-onwards, unit construction engine Bullets are vastly superior, a whole different bike really - basically a jump from 1930s technology (hence constant servicing - though it's not that bad, really) to a modern, if simple, engine design that yet maintains the old-fashioned torque. Indeed, with hydraulic valves the servicing is a matter of changing the oil and filter. Otherwise, just get on and ride your more powerful, much more reliable thumper.

OP, the W is very easy to live with - nothing goes wrong - and to service...much easier to service than any of those other bikes you mention. Parts are pretty universal too. The engine has more character (that pulsing twin feel) than the Triumphs you mention.
  19. V7 on looks, I've ridden a Thruxton and a Bonny, but for pure horniness the MotoGuzzi wins by a freak'n mile.
  20. I'd vote for the W800 as well. Although it is noticeably slower than the Bonnie it's beautifully engineered.