Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Triumph Sprint RS - Any problems?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Iondah, Jan 14, 2008.

1. I now pretty much have my heart set on a Triumph Sprint RS after months of searching. It seems like the best all-rounder around and pretty much the best bike in my price range.

Oh, I got off restrictions today too :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

I've read all the reviews I can find and they are all very favorable with only very minor complaints about the bike, mostly to do with styling which I am happy to live with.

BUT what I would like to know is, what are people's personal experiences with this bike? I'm interested in any problems you might have had, as well as service intervals and tyre wear and stuff.

I'll be going for the slightly improved '02/03 model if I can find one for the right price.
  2. Go and have a look around t595.net and see what you can find out, or maybe triumphrat (Sprint forum).
    I've heard no bad stories, other than the general one that as a slightly bargain version of the Sprint, the finish may not be as robust as some, and the suspension has been known to go a little bit soft before it's time.
  3. Congrats on getting off your restrictions, mate. Feels good, don't it? So you decided to take the trumpy over the trex? Keep us filled in on how you go :cool:
  4. Seriously looked at them myself mate, cant fault them either... :wink:
    triumphrat.net is the site to visit I found. they have a subforum there for the Sprint specifically.......should answer all your questions, even though they are bound to be biased. :p
    Cheers Rogues
  5. Bloke at work had a rs and currently has a speed triple.

He did a gearbox bearing recently on the speed triple (low 30Mm).

He had a fair few troubles electronically with the RS. It turned out the FI pins were prone to corrosion. Pulling all the connectors apart and putting them back together again solved the problems.

the impression I get from him is they need a bit more attention than the Jap bikes, but not as much as other non jap bikes.

I'd have one
  6. I had an 01 orange model.

- best engine I've ever used. Totally smooth, linear power with endless grunt. Brilliant in the wet.

- remarkable comfort. Best stock bike seat I've ever been on.

- astounding fuel economy. Filled up after 374kms and the low fuel light hadn't even come on.

- the triumph aftermarket pannier kit with removeable protective panels is great and hold a ton of stuff.

Now the bad.......

- The Sprint RS handles like a bathtub filled with custard. In stock trim, it just didn't want to steer and felt very nervy in corners. This however, can be fixed:
    ..... Get new springs. The stock ones are rubbish.
    ..... fit proper sporty tyres rather than the sports-touring ones you usually find on them. I changed from Bridgestone BT20s to Metzeler Sportecs and the difference in handling was unbelievable.

Makes these changes, and an ill-handling pig turns into a superb sporty tourer.

Also, the odd vibes of the triple engine makes for some weird throttle-hand vibrations. Right hand always went numb. Get some wraparound tennis raquet grip and it should be OK.
  7. Thanks very much for the advice guys. I've checked out the forums suggested and they were pretty good.

Davesta - Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to jump on a bigger bike yet so I don't really appreciate being off restrictions yet. I'm sure I'll be a very happy camper on Saturday though when I begin the test-ride rounds.

Ibast - Do you know what year that bike was? I don't mind a small amount of DIY maintenance but I'll be leaving the complicated stuff to the Pros.

Monquito- Thanks for the comments. That pretty much sums up what I've heard too. It sounds like its' fairly easy to get the suspension right though.

Anyone have an idea of servicing costs/parts availability etc?

8. mmmmm "bathtub filled with custard"