Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Triumph Sprint GT throttle free-play

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Newty, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My Sprint GT has excessive throttle free-play, I don't know if it's because of the heated (ladies) grips or not. A friend of mine has a Street Triple and he commented on the same problem (no ladies grips). Does anyone know if this is an easy fix or do I need a GOOD mechanic to look at it? By the way I'm a newb here, names Trev, talk to you all soon

2. Hey mate I have a GT as well and installed the heated grips myself. The collar. On the grip where the cables sit is a fraction smaller diameter it seems, than the original grip. You will need to remove the fuel tank to access the adjusters down between the airbox and the frame on the right hand side of the bike. Be VERY careful with the fuel connectors on the tank and the wiring connectors. The free play can then be fine tuned using the in-line adjuster which is on throttle cable up near the steering head (has rubber boots covering it).
  3. Thanks Anthony, so 2 sets of adjusters, under the tank for major? and at the steering head for minor, is that what you're saying?
  4. That's it mate. Under the tank you can adjust both cables - the opening and closing cables. On the bars you can only adjust the opening cable.
  5. Thanks again Anthony, I'll have a crack next weekend, will let you know how I go.

I can't understand how the previous owner could put up with it, I've compensated for it but I've gotta fix it, thanks heaps :dance:
  6. I'm hearing you mate! When I installed mine I adjusted out the slack. Thought I got it right. Noooooooooo.....needed another couple of goes before I was happy with it.
  7. G'day Trev and welcome to NR, if you're aiming for minimal slack, be sure to check the freeplay at BOTH left and right full-lock on the steering as turning the bars full lock can sometimes increase the revs if not done right.

8. All you sods and your GT's, i should have got one instead of an ST, except that my feet are too big :p.
  9. Thanks Ned, appreciate it
  10. Had a crack yesterday Tas Man and Anthony, no problems, also fitted a K&N filter that was supplied with the bike (previous owner was too scared to take the tank off and do it himself). Thanks to all for your help......except Mr Messy of course. Although I have heard and seen about the foot size restriction on YouTube, there is no such foot size restriction on my GT, they must have fixed it. Ya better get down to your local Triumph dealer and trade-in on some World Class!!!:butt:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.