Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Triumph Sprint GT test ride

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by vossy53, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Good day..Travelled from Coffs to Syd to see my newborn grand daughter number 4. That was exiting but what made it more exiting was that I test rode the Triumph ST and then the then new GT. (You can only googaah a 4 day old baby for so long!!)
    The ST was 'Great' and comparable to the Daytona 955i. I loved the balance and its sporty feel.. it certainly lived up to my expextations. Triumphs are great bikes and economical to boot.. also loved the sound from underneath my bum..ie. the bikes exhausts that exit from underneath the rear of the pillion seat. What did bother me is where the frame meets the bottom of the tank is a ridge that caused discomfort (due to my boney knees I guess). A great run though but when the salesrep (MOTO Blacktown) suggested I try the new Sprint that recently arrived I jumped at the offer.
    Whilst the ST was 'Great' the GT was 'Awesome'. The engine being the same as the ST has a great powerband and pulls like a draughthorse from 1500 rpm onwards. I loved the chassis and the bike surprised me with its nimbleness. With the extra length in the chassis and panniers it looks heavy but it handles like a medium weight! It suited my taller frame and the pillion seat looks very compfy. The only thing I didn't like is the triangular exhaust but I suppose thats only superficial and can be changed at a later date. The sound it emits is a pleasing growl. If you're after a Sporty tourer my suggestions is test ride the GT before you choose. Well done Triumph (now if I can only get my wife away from our new grandchild and try out the pillion seat)

2. Triumph will be dropping the ST from the line-up in all but UK market. That leaves the GT for touring types, and a bit of a hole in the sporty side of the range...
    Which would be a nice fit for a new big Daytona, (if there were such a thing).

3. Spoke to a sales guy a week ago, asked him about that. He said it's not true; Triumph Australia are just buying up the 09/10 models because they can make more off them. The ST will be staying around, but it will be dropping the included panniers, and will have a minor update to the fairing, which is why Triumph Australia are just sticking with what is in the supply chain right now. Mechanically he said the 2011 ST isn't getting much, maybe the same tweaks that made it into the GT.

4. The tiger is on the sporty side of sports touring.

5. It is a bit, yeah, especially with the dampers adjusted to the 'firm' settings rather than standard settings. Though the sporting personality of the big cat is more "200kg supermoto" than "200kg race replica", which I suspect is what's lamented here. :)

6. Bit of a contradiction in terms, there. Both of 'em.
    But the point is taken, and you're both right.

Even so, there are thousands that would like to see that much prophesied Big Dayt.

7. Oh certainly, Titus - I don't pretend for a minute that a Tiger or Sprint ST are hard-edged race-bred track machines with the same agility or performance (or maintenance regime) as the real thing. They are both sports-tourers with a degree of flabby comfort and sensibility (and seats which won't render a gentleman sterile within an hour).

I'm not sure why there hasn't been a 1050 Daytona yet. If I had to speculate, it'd be to do with the relative heftiness of the 1050 "platform" as a whole - even the naked minimalist Speed Triple is only 10-15kg lighter than the big cat based off of it. Would need a far more aggressive camshaft and rev limit to get CBR1000RR/S1000RRRRRR/etc power, too. Hmm.

8. I was just saying that there isn't really a hole left by the removal of the Sprint ST, as that was never a RR. The tiger now that it is more road orientated is really an adequate substitute for the Sprint ST.

You guys are right that they do have a hole in there range for a 1000cc RR sportsbike but I would say that requires development of a new engine and frame rather than just a change to the 1050 (which is going to be expensive).

9. Agree 100%. I would go as far as to say that Triumph are actually refusing to commit to such a machine because they doubt that they can really do better than an also-ran in this class. Without going broke.

Shoulda just bought the Foggy Petronas triple and developed it for road IMO :bolt:

End of hijack.

10. I read the bikepoint release review on the GT the other day and thought it sounded tasty, by all accounts I may have to include it as the upper end of my to do list when I'm right to go bike shopping.

11. So I just spent a day test riding bikes. I got my full license today, and what better way to celebrate than to shop for bikes?

The Sprint GT was on the top of my list, because I'm a tall lad, and kinda heavy, and the smaller bikes just feel too cramped for me. Plus, I just love the look of them.

I went down to Procycles on the Princes Hwy, and chatted with Jared there, and he was quite helpful. Let me take the GT out for a bit over an hour, so I really got to know the bike, through the kind of riding I normally do.

The only bike I could compare it to was my current bike, the GSX650FU, and coming off that and onto a GT was like night and day. The controls just feel nicer, the foot pegs seem to be placed in just the right place for me and even the riding position, which is a little more forward than the 650F, was fine. I went over some pretty rough roads, and it was smooth as - much more comfortable than the 650F - even with the rear preload dialled up a fair way.

The engine just pulls at any rev, nice and smooth, but the note is gorgeous. When you open it up and you get some revs into it, you get this throaty howl that just puts a smile on your face.

The gearbox is smoother than the Suzuki's. It snicks into each gear with minimum of effort and you can quick shift a little more easily than what I'm used to.

I really miss having a digital speedo, but all the instruments that are there are fine. I think the speedo is just a little hard to read.

You don't really notice that the bike is longer or heavier once you're on it. It just feels really very nimble, and it'll quite happily shift around the corners without much effort, in fact I think it turns in a little easier than Suzuki, and its much, much more comfortable.

Actually, I'm not sure what's holding me back from just going back there and slapping down a deposit.

edit: for comparison reasons, I also rode a street triple, a bonneville, and an FZ8.

12. After a good think, i went back and haggled, got a better trade in and put down a deposit. Will be getting it around the 3rd week of November. yay me? :)