Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Triumph Speedmaster died in rain

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by tedmac, Feb 17, 2008.

1. On the way home from work my triumph speedmaster died in the rain. After pushing it for about 2kms it started again. I think it may be an electrical issue but the dealership wont fix it under warranty, claiming he hasn't heard of this before. It would be good to hear of anyone else who has had the same issue and how it was fixed.
    I have read the same thing happens if water gets into the fuel tank on other triumphs but I don't see how it would get in on the speedmaster.

2. If thats the case I would report them to Triumph Australia and see what they can do.
  3. WTF! What's that got to do with it?

I'd be making as much noise as I could about that.

It was probably water in your plug recesses, however, so it's not really a warranty issue unless you can prove you've got faulty seals or similar.
  4. Quite possibly. :)

Another possibility is water shorting out the kill switch. Unlikely, but anything is possible.

Water does not easily get into fuel, and once in you would have to drain the tank and carbs to clear it. Since the bike started after a short while - OK I know it seemed like ages while you were pushing it! - it wasn't water in the fuel which caused the stoppage.

Trevor G
  5. Yeah... it's water getting into something.

Triumph Bonnevilles get water down the fuel cap - they don't seal properly. Not sure if this is the same with the Speedmaster.

Could be the CDI unit as well... I had water getting into mine on the old bike.

Triumph Australia IS Peter Stevens.... I doubt they'll help you much there. Go to Triumph UK if you're really stuck or...

- Take it to Charlie at Turn One
    - Check out http://www.triumphrat.net
    for suggestions.
  6. Isnt that standard on all pommy bikes? cut out when its wet (or dry), is anything on it lucas electrics? change them all to bosch and you'll be right.