Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Triumph speed triples - what are they like to live with?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Fitty, Aug 19, 2009.

1. I'm starting to think seriously about what bike I'm going to get when I upgrade from my VTR250. I've decided I don't necessarily want to go to a supersport simply because I'll use the bike to commute more than I'll play in the twisties, but I still want something that can tighten the balloon knot when the situation calls for it.

I've been thinking more and more about getting a Triumph Speed Triple or ST-R. Now, everything I read about these bikes makes them sound fantastic, but I think reviewers tend to wear rose coloured glasses in some respects, and the enthusiasm with which they describe every single bike they write about leaves a reader in the dark when it comes to a bike's negative points. Now, Triumph are Triumph, and Japanese they ain't; from the old man's war stories, back in the bad old days, regular spanner time was a given, but this is 2009. What I want to know is how they are these days - are they reliable, what are their foibles, how much is servicing and, given your time again, would you buy another one?

2. I would, and may well will, own another one.

You've got to be a bit unlucky to have any issues with the new ones.

There's reallly little to nothing in it between them and the Japanese bikes now.

Genuine parts can be pricey, but much can be bought online from the U.K. or the States for a lot less. There's enough around for some parts at wreckers. There's also a fair choice of aftermarket bits too.

A scour of a couple of the main Triumph forums will show up if a particular model is having any issues. For mine it was a tiny fluid weep from the radiator hoses which I fixed by tightening two hose clamps. Otherwise I caned it and rode on dirt and in the rain, and even on dirt in the rain without a hiccup.

The 10 000km (Street triple) service was about $220 from memory, and a good lump of that was the fancy oil. Or I hope it was fancy, because it was a premium price, but that's neither here nor there.

Forget about the stories of the old Meridian Triumphs back in the day. That was another time and place. There were some utter crap quality Japanese bikes even into the 80's.

I would buy with confidence. Any problems should be sorted pretty sharpish under warranty unless you strike a bad dealer. Then you would just contact someone futher up the ladder.

3. Gromit (who used to post here but isn't around much these days, though you may still be able to PM him) has one. He's had a few issues with it but I think his perspectives are that those were related to this particular bike, and his comment to me was that he's still very glad he got it because it's an absolute hoot to ride.

4. Thanks guys.

5. Had one - a '99. Would buy another in a heartbeat. Probably will one day, when I can afford two bikes :wink:

Big problems are few, but it's normal to have a few niggling little issues. Servicing for me, was around $250 for a minor service and $500 - $600 for a major. It helps to live not too far from Kensington. Parts are generally available (most of the time).

Insurance is usually cheaper than a Jap sportsbike, too.

6. I loved my 2002. Rode it every day in every situation, from torrential rain to hot 38* days.

Only reason I sold mine is because I needed something more touring capable.
    I would love to own another one.
    Main issue with mine was charging system, which was fixed by a re-wound stator, about $300 inc labour.

Mine was a 955i Speed Triple.

It commuted well, traffic was easy as, filtering was piss-easy. Never stalled, never overheated, was reasonable on fuel.

I cannot say a bad thing about them. Best cornering from mine was the really tight 20-30km/h rated corners, so flickable.

It will make a hoon out of you.

7. My triple-R got reversed into the other day which knocked it over. Only damage was a blown globe, ($4.00) scratch on the end of handle bar and a tiny mark on the muffler.

So I guess everyday knocks it is good aswell, wont cost a fortune in fairings for those little mishaps.

Apart from that nothing bad. Dealer network almost to helpful, when I take it in to get something looked at they even tightend and lubed the chain for nothing.

8. hey, if you are looking for a Street triple have a look at this forum
    http://www.triumph675.net/forum/

Good source of information. I haven't had any real issues with my daytona yet.

Bikes are bikes - they all need some love and care.

9. I ride a 09 speed triple daily (commuting) and have had 0 problems in the last 10,000kms. I love it ALOT. Apart from remote the massive plastic numberplate bracket and get some bar end mirrors, the bike has an arrow 3 into 1 which it came with from the dealer.

Change the oil at 5000kms, has not used a drop.

Easy in traffic, super easy filter and splitting and lots of torque to get you going infront of traffic.

I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

10. Has anyone anywhere replaced the headlights on the Speed and Street Triple? I don't like the way they look...

11. You're kidding right?!? :shock:

12. When does Triumph usually bring in the next year's model? Is 2010 Speed Triple coming soon?

13. I don't like them either. :?

14. Fair enough,

The headlights are one of the street/speed triples defining features (appearance wise anyway), From everything I've read the bikes are reputedly good enough to make the lights look good :LOL:

15. i test rode the new speed triple last week (peter stevens) absolutely amazing. i'm currently looking at a new naked bike as my main and pretty sure my eyes are set on this after test riding quiet a few diffrent bikes (most of current ducatis, the z1000 and the yamaha)

i hear back from the financer tomorrow (monday) then i'm pretty sure once i find the right seller will have a new bike for next weekend (tbh peter stevens didnt seem like they would move much from RRP with over 2,000 of bolt on extras) - comments on this please

only part i had to argue myself with is the price tag (in the end costs more than a ducati!!) i understand it's worth it; they are amazing bikes, but it's like paying more for a BMW than a FERRARI? comments on this please!

16. Try AJ's Motorcycles in Shepparton.

17. Which Ducati? I was quoted $18,000 ride away (2009 Speed Triple any colour) without even trying. I would have thought there's easily room for another grand or perhaps get them to throw in the Arrow exhaust.

18. sorry, firstly the S4R $20,000 on road, with carbon exhaust system
    monster 1100 $21,000 on road

the S4R comes with everything standard, seat cowl, flyscreen, rear wheel guard, steel in places the triumph has plastic etc

to get the triumph up to this everything is an add on which takes it up to around $23,000 to end up at the same level (get what i mean?)

so in the end triumph on road $17,990; bare bike.
    triumph on road with the extras $23,000 where the ducatis come standard with the extras im after.

19. Modern Triumphs are related to the old by name only. Anybody that tries to draw a link between Hinkley and Meridian is kidding themselves. Different company.

As to comparing to the Japanese, it's a bit like a European luxury car compared to a Camry. Sure there are going to be a few more niggles, but the Triumph is actually better put together on average.

Get the latest possible model to avoid these niggles.

Btw I'm not a Triumph fanbioy. I bought my bike because it's a tripple and it's not ridiculously sports orientated not because of the badge.

20. So a triple is better than inline-4/v-4?

That's probably why it's cheaper to insure than Japanese bikes in the same class.