Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Triumph Speed Triple 1050 (not street triple)

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Captn Spock, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Just wondering how people rate this bike? Not to be confused with street triple which is based on the 675 frame. I am talking about the big brother speed triple 1050.

Given a commute and weekend rides to the hills use case, how well have people fared with this bike? How reliable do people think Triumphs are in general and specifically this bike?

Insurance and servicing, and how expensive/economical this is?

2. I own a 08 1050.

Reliability is pretty good mine has done 60,000 km with the only problems being stator and 2 x reg Rec. all covered under warranty.

Compared to the 675 the speed is big and heavy although the 2011 model onwards steer much more like the 675 thanks to the revised geometry.

Ps always have test bikes so go ride them both back to back and see for your self.

I love speed triple, and still have it but the new Tuono is an amazing bike, but more $$$.

Fire any q you like.
  3. Servicing- expensive at ps.
    Insurance is good naked = cheaper
  4. I'm looking at either the speed triple or the z1000. If I get it I may get the 2011+ model.

How well do you think it fares as a tourer? How is mileage on it?

People often speak of triumphs missing gear shifts and having somewhat problematic gear boxes. Have you experienced any of that?

Also, How much is a major service on the speed triple?
    Thanks for your input.
  5. The 2011 Speed Triple changes the equation quite a bit if you're comparing to the Z1000 and 675, and I'd be inclined to go for the Speed.

Having done some touring on the Street Triple (I'm 183 cm), the Speed would be almost luxurious in terms of open road comfort.

Vs the current Z1000, it's a lot down to your own preference, but I like the low end (and everywhere else) torque shove of the triple.

The gearbox improvements noted in recent reviews of the new Speed Triple R are going into the regular model, according to Triumph, but I don't know when. I've found the shift on earlier models 2006-2007 to be somewhat wanting and also quite variable from bike to bike (I've ridden four different ones, and on one one it was awful), but I suspect there has been continual improvement (remembering that there was a mild update for the 2008 model). If you test ride a low km bike, know that the shift improves over the first 2000-3000 km.

Whatever the price difference with the deal you can get between the Speed and the Street is probably still a signifigant factor too. In 2008 I went for the Street, but since the 2011 Speed came along I'd be a good bit more inclined to go for that, but I'd have to ride both and look at the price difference, But then the Street Triple R also came along since I bought mine.

Your height, likely usage any possible leaning towards liking the extra cubes of the 1050 would all come into play.

But the 2011 Speed makes a very strong case now, and is arguably about the best, most versatile road bike around. And then there's the personality, which rocks.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The speed triple 2011 model or above is definitely looking like it might stretch my budget at $19000 ride away.

I don't want to have to sell my zx6 to get the triumph. And the street triple would probably be a bit unexciting.

Bloody choices. Id really love a second bike with straight handle bars. Triumph speed triple definitely has the bad ass street fighter look and character to go with it.

The question is, is it so good to warrant selling the zx6 to help get the speed triple. Fark, even saying that gives me a funny feeling in the stomach. I couldn't imagine not owning a supersport and definitely not my zx6 at that.

Choices argh. Filled out an online form to test ride the speed triple. I am 177 cms tall btw.
  7. I've got the 2011 Speedie.

If your used to Japanese gearboxes you will be disappointed. The Trumpies require some assertiveness, and even then false neutrals will still occur.

Service intervals are 10,000 Kms. Mines just about to have it's first, and if it's anything like my Sprint it wiill be about $800 including the valve clearances. The next service at 20K will be under $300.

Having ridden the old Speedie, the Street and the new Speedie, I agree somewhat with the comments that the new model handles more like the Street than the older older model, but you can still feel the extra weight when pushing it hard through the twisties.

The new one doesn't seem quites as manic off the line as the old one, delivering its power in a much more linear fashion. What is still the same is the bucket loads of torque from just about anywhere in the rev range. It's highly addictive and likely to make you do silly things.
  8. I've ridden the old T595 and the first series 1050 speedies, and loved them both. Good brakes, nimble feel without feeling flighty and great engines. If you're just road riding, not racing, then anything will be fine. Just go ride one.
  9. I was in your situation late last year. z1000 or Speedie. In the end i test rode both and went with the speedie, much better styling and more usable performance. The z just felt like your usual Japanese four with taller gearing so it still needed to be ridden with intent to appreciate the engine. I liked the 'transformer' look at 1st but it kind of wore out on me in the end, plus i didnt rate the dash.

The speed was/is just a far more fun bike to ride, with that sweet triple delivering anywhere in the rev range. I could just feel the old hoon coming out in me on the 1st test ride. All this at a premium as the speed was nearly $5k dearer.
  10. If price was a primary focus i would prefer the speed triple. I test rode both but ended up with a z1000. Then again if money wasnt primary i would be riding a tuono.
  11. Now the Speed Triple R, on the other hand...
  12. THanks everyone for your comments. I will be test riding one soon to see how I go.
  13. me too!
    This bike has my attention... and hope to test ride in a few weeks.
    I'm early 40's but late to riding. Coming of restrictions in a couple of weeks and keen to upgrade.

Currently ride a W800... and keen for an upright bike, that looks good, isn't too mainstream, but has more torque. Sure anything I upgrade to is likely to have more torque than my W800 (which I love).

Was considering a sports tourer... which took me to the Sprint... but then realised that instead of buying a bike for those irregular longer trips, I'm probably better buying a bike for my day-to-day, and week-to-week riding... that then can do the odd longer trip as well.

Have been reading lots of reviews, they all read great. Being over 40 and slightly heavier than I probably should be, aren't necessarily looking for the hooligan bike, nor go rocket speeds, and do wheelies and stop pies everywhere... but I still keen coming back to the Speed Triple.
  14. I test rode the street triple and was quite impressed to be honest.

The speed triple is a bit bigger and heavier and personally didn't excite me. If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably go with a street triple. But I am only 5'10 and 68 kgs. So you'd have to weight it up.
  15. DJY, I currently have the new Speddie (6months) and had the Sprint ST before that (2 years).

The Sprint's a very versatile bike. It has good wind and weather protection, range and luggage space for touring. It's also handles the "sport" duties reasonably well for it's size. When I lived up north it was the perfect all-rounder.

Since moving to Brisbane, and communting daily, its shortcomming became apparent. The triple motor runs pretty hot and the fairing do an excellent job of keeping that heat right on you. After a summer of manhandling it's considerable bulk around in traffic I decided to switch to a naked.

The Speddie won out because it can be be both a doddle to ride and a balls out hooligan bike. While comfortable on long rides, the lack of protection and luggage options means it a tourer only by necessity. However it's got that flexible, linear motor that sound fantastic (especially through the arrow slip ons). The ride position is perfect for me (as opposed to the older one), the handling is surprising for a bike of this style and size, and the brakes are excellent. Had I have know the "R" was on the way I would have held out to get the upgraded suspensions. The rear shock on the Speedie is not quite up to us "bigger" lads. I don't send both wheels in the air every time I hop on, but if you do go the way of the Speed Triple you will be tempted to do silly things, it's just that kind of bike.

If you want something that does all things reasonably well, looks good and is ultra reliable, go for the Sprint ST. I did 42,000 kms in under 2 years (including a run from Townsville to Brisbane) and it never missed a beat, or required anything other that normal consumables.

Hope this helps.
  16. Mis-quote of the century there!

The Street Triple is probably the most fun bike you will ever ride!

I recently (like its got 190kms on it) brought a brand new Speed Triple, after having both a Street Triple (killed due to a cager) then a Street Triple R.

I brought the first Street in 2010, when the old Speed was still out, which handled like a boat to me so the Street was an easy choice.

When the first Street Triple was killed I was umming and ahhing whether to get the Street R or the 2011 Speed, after test riding both it was a toss up, went with the Street R cause at that time I was still doing track days on my road bike, and the Streets definately a better choice there.

Fast forward to the end of 2011 and I picked up a Gixxer 600 track bike, so I threw the Street R on the market to see if I could get good $$ for it.

Brought the Speed now mainly for the lazy torque, and its better with the mrs on the back, and I wont be using it on the track now.... however I still say the Street is the better all round bike, the power does not fit its size, the 675 is one sweet engine.

Hope this helps. You wont regret either bike, the triples have character for the road, jap 4s are too boring especially sound wise for me as a road bike, they have their place, covered in tupperware on the track!
  17. Yeah I agree with that after test riding the street triple. It really is am awesome bike all round..
  18. Thanks for the comments Benjamin Button :)

Appreciate your experiences with both bikes. I guess I won't really know until I start riding the contenders I'm looking at. Have sat on the Sprint GT... and even compared to the Speed Triple let alone my W800 I found it does have me stretching / leaning forward onto the bars. That is stationary though... and I'm sure once riding it has a different feel. I saw a 2009 Sprint ST for sale the other day as well which looked like it was in really good condition (and black)... but I can't wait to go test ride a Speed Triple.

I have been reading up about the arrow slip ons as well (I prefer the keeping the high mounted vs the low at this stage), but then found somewhere a convenient little frame / mounting system that fits over only the standard pipes to allow soft panniers... which opens up a new dilemma for me as well :) After all, once you start touring you don't care what things look like, and if this mounting system can be installed and removed fairly easily it might be worth considering leaving the standard pipes on.

But alas I'm getting ahead of myself again... I need to read, go ride a few things and then decide :) Can't wait!

Edit: Givi mounts for high pipes may not work on the new 2011+
  19. Disagree on a technicality! I4 cross-plane crack on the new R1. Please take another listen :biker:
  20. You've obviously never heard a V4 Honda with a pipe then?