Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by I Adore Vic, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Holy crap. I saw this bike today at the Motorcycle expo. When I first saw it I did a double take...and thought 'WTF?' and 'Butt ugly'. The exhaust pipes are raised ...not something my mind is used to seeing.

After a while though, it started to grow on me and now I am at the point where I find myself thinking of that bike in the same way I think of the Triumph Bonneville T100's... =P~

I wish I took a camera to show you what I mean....and I don't know how to post pics linked from other sites....but here's a link to some photos of what I'm talking/drooling about.

It's a serious, serious contender for Rosie's upgrade some day when... :)
  2. I'm a huge fan of the Scrambler's looks; I think she's a beaut! From what I've read in the Brit mags though it's a little underwhelming in the performance department... Still, if tearing around like a loony isn't your thing, maybe the Scrambler would fit the bill nicely.
    I don't tear around like a loony yet, but I want the capability should I ever feel the need!
  3. The look of the Scrambler is supposed to invoke the images of the sixties and, apparently, of Steve McQueen who posed on a similar bike in a movie "Great Escape". I must admit I haven't seen the movie so that meme doesn't work for me, but I still like the retro styling.

However, this is all show. This is no dirt bike, despite raised pipes and knobby tyres. And heck, there's nothing wrong with that - I didn't want a dirt bike in the first place! Except in that case, why pretend? So in this sense Scrambler is a pure poser's bike... but it is also most likely a nice relaxed naked road bike, if nice relaxed naked bike was what you're after.
  4. Well, he doesn't pose in The Great Escape - he rides the whatname off it :)

Tara Moss has got one, she seems happy with hers.
  5. He might've done some riding, but his supposedly famous (remember I didn't actually see the movie) jump was performed by a stunt duble, namely Bud Ekins
    Source: http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/hofbiopage.asp?id=166
  6. kris said:

I've no plans on tearing around like a loony... :) Totally not my thing. :)

cb250goespop said:

Oooh yeah. :grin:

Ezyrider - I'm interested to hear your opinion of the bike.

Rosie V7
  7. Umm, can't say really - I've only seen them, haven't ridden one. I'm more of a Thruxton guy, meself :cool: Not really what I go for in a bike, but they look the goods and would be fun to ride.
  8. The Thruxton's a great looking bike for sure, but it just doesn't do for me what the Bonneville T100, America and now the Scrambler do. I'm yet to see a 'non' Triumph bike that gives me that feeling. Of course, when the day comes that I can actually hop on one and take it for a ride, I may find it's not to my liking. :)

Rosie V7
  9. Nah mate, go a Rocket III - just don't drop it or try and pick it up off the sidestand - hefty beastie for sure!

Old ones or new, Trumpys do that to ya - feel good that is :)
  10. The America's about 230kg isn't it? (As opposed to approx 205kg for the other two). Certainly bulkier. They had a Rocket III and a Rocket III Classic on display at the expo as well - I wasn't impressed with the Rocket III but the Classic certainly grabbed my attention.

BTW, do you call all women mate or do you think I'm a guy? ...I've created some confusion with my Ben Bostrom avatar *laughs*
  11. I don't care if you're male or female (FWIW I was about 98% certain you were a F) - if it's all the same for most of my working life I've either been the token male or there's only a couple of us :) - mate just happens to be a word I use a bit.

Hokay... helina_handbasket rides an America I think - he loves it. The modern Triumph have a lot to be proud of - don't the Phillip Island Riding School or whatever they're called use Triumphs? They had about 7 of them lined up at their display @ the Expo.
  12. The Scrambler is certainly a unique looking bike. For me the pick of the bunch would have to be the Bonneville.
  13. Triumph Rocket III Classic =

Capacity 2294cc :shock: :LOL: :LOL:

Weight (Dry) 320kg (704lbs) :| :| :| :LOL:

Where's a boat anchor icon when you need one? :LOL:
  14. I'd like to know how they get only 55hp and relatively little torque out of nearly 1000cc...
  15. Maybe you should tell this guy..... http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/cap_coast/cap_coast.html

I'll admit there are better bikes than the Scrambler to do dirt on, but in the right hands it will go very well off-road - as many bikes will.

I love the look of the Scrambler - just don't like the weight and the engine is a bit underpowered, but new pipes and jets gets a few more hp.
  16. :| :| :| Does it go 100kph without getting all crappy? :) :grin:

meh - I just like the look of it. :grin: :cool:
  17. Good point, but they are carbed and air cooled for simplicity, so not trying to be high performance but go all day in the mid range.

06 Bonneville

Displacement: 790.00 ccm (48.21 cubic inches)
    Power: 62.00 HP (45.3 kW)) @ 7300 RPM
    Torque: 60.00 Nm (6.1 kgf-m or 44.3 ft.lbs) @ 7200 RPM

06 Scrambler

Displacement: 865.00 ccm (52.78 cubic inches)
    Power: 55.00 HP (40.1 kW)) @ 7000 RPM
    Torque: 69.00 Nm (7.0 kgf-m or 50.9 ft.lbs) @ 5000 RPM

Both weigh 205kg's
  18. Easily - am sure you'd sit all day on 120kmh, wont get there as quick as some bikes, but would just lope along.
  19. +1 - you'd be fine - put some miles on the Virago first as this bike will be waiting for you as your next one should you want it :)
  20. This was posted on Ulysses Site by one of the members from Bendigo who owns a Scrambler