Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Triumph Reliable? Cheap Service Costs?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by turnipcorp, Oct 10, 2007.

1. I may be lucky enough be in the market for a new bike and the Triumph street triple is in my sights.

Having said that you cant beat the reliability and cheap on going costs of the Jap bikes

I have heard the Triumph are comparable in reliability AND on the cheap side of the service costs too...ie not $1000 for a service ie Ducati

Any experience's with Triumphs or current late model Triumph owners who can give me any idea ?

2. Mate recently sold his beloved Ducati for a Triumph Sprint. Ironically, the Duc gave him almost no trouble, whereas the Triumph has been an endless set of niggles, usually having to do with starting trouble because it doesn't like the wet. The trade-off (?) is that this Triumph has taken its cue from Japan in terms of perfection and sterility, whereas the Duc ran on combusted emotion! Result: he's already fantisising about his next Duc...

That's just one experience, of course. But get the bike you love, and you will be able to stomach whatever troubles it gives.
  3. Thats the secret as far as im concerned. :wink:
  4. I own a Daytona 675, which is very closely related to your proposed Street Triple purchase.

I have not had a single problem with mine, reliability-wise.

Service costs are the same as any other Japanese equivalent. Being a naked should make labour costs cheaper again as the mechanics don't need to spend 1/2 hr messing around with the fairings. Service intervals are every 10,000kms.

Has never skipped a beat. Some of the older recent Triumph models have had their share of niggles.

Something like a failure to start in the wet as mentioned above would seem to indicate that one of the fuel injection sensors has failed or is acting up, and this does appear to be perhaps one of the more common problems that occur with modern Triumphs should any such problems occur.

In general, Triumph appear to be really picking up their game, and problems are becoming fewer and rarer. If something does really go wrong, it can be a little hard to get hold of parts, but the situation is not as bad as some other manufacturers.

Looking over at the 675 forum, problems are fairly rare, and while they do exist, I can't say that the number of complaints are particularly higher on average than I've seen on equivalent Japanese enthusiast motorbike forums.
  5. That's just one experience, of course. But get the bike you love, and you will be able to stomach whatever troubles it gives.[/quote]

Ta for the info,with the bqove quote, i do agree on that but thing is i need to rely on the bike to get me to work with the minimum of fuss

As to starting in the wet...is that after riding in the wet or getting rained on while parked? Is is a big problem?
  6. What Ducati ? and what year sprint ?
    Theres nothing sterile about the triples and it has its own particular character totally unlike any of the japanese or other bikes. Its a triple for one ...hello.... . Comparing it to an in line 4 or twin is just silly.
    My sprint has never let me down , rain hail or shine , or for that matter in river crossings or snow. It has spent days in the open weather at falls creek and fired up instantly There are no wet problems. Perhaps Mattb you might be better placed to owning one rather than relying on 'mates'. Services are at 12,000 km intervals . I know lots of sprint riders that do most of the service themselves and remove the fairing to have the regulation 'service' done to comply with manufacturer at very little cost.

I too heard this gobbledegook when I was researching for a new bike about service costs , and heat issues and all sorts of starting and brake issues , and it has proved baseless .
  7. I think the way triumph treat the media says something for them.

I've read how magazines like two wheels and motorcycle trader magazine get triumphs for a month to try them out, while the japs try and keep it restricted to track days and stuff.
  8. Well, if you had a '05 Sprint ST, they wouldn't be so baseless, especially the heat issue. Anyway, from my memory, there were a number of Sprint 1050 owners reporting rusting (only a cosmetic issue), but only a few claimed that they had minor brake performance issues with their ABS model. As for the starting issue, huh :?:

I reckon, with any late model Triumph, it's a good idea to do a DIY oil & filter change half way between the service intervals.
  9. I've never had a prob. I do the basic servicing myself and the major ones I DONT go to P.S. and I get a reasonably priced, thorough job done. No matter what u get there are bound to be some niggles....thats part of the bikes character and like the others have said, if u love the bike, its no problem. :grin:
  10. Which is why I asked what model deadmeat :) but the OP refers to current model sprints . The heat issues of earlier models are easily addressed .

I agree with you about the DIY oil changes and basic service and do this. Especially living in a dirt enviroment .

Dont know who you use Speed , but Charley is very good over in Kensington. He has people coming to him from all over the state.
  11. Modern Ducati's don't cost anything like that to service.
  12. Modern Ducati's don't cost anything like that to service.[/quote]

Yeah i have mate who has a monster and just paid $1000 for a service...but then i did research and called my local workshop and they were quite reasonably priced
  13. For a ducacti or the 2002 Suzuki SV 650 in your NetRider garage?
  14. Is it a new Ducati?
  15. My '03 sprint is due for the 20,000km (major) service and it's been estimated at $650. Mind you, except for an oil change and diy ajdustments it hasn't been serviced since last scheduled at 10,000km, so works out about the same as my mate's kwaka thus far.
  16. '98 SS 750. The Sprint is a few years old only, not sure exactly.

NB my careful words "That's just one experience, of course." It's fine to relate what others' experiences are, especially when it's your closest riding mate and a bike you sometimes borrow, what matters is that you make suitable qualifications. :)

I stick to my point about sterility, and the comparison with in-line fours! (-too smooth!) :p It's an argument that's been going on in various ways (eg CB750) for at least 40 years now! :)