Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Triumph - Engine Light permanently on

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by paulm_collins, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Hi all,

I have a 2003 Triumph Sprint ST.

I just replaced the flasher unit as it just died and also took along 3 fuses with it.
    After checking all of the other fuses while I was in there, I now find that the engine management light is constantly on.

I dont want to take it in somewhere to get it fixed so just wondered if anyone can confirm how to reset it.
    I read somewhere that you have to perform 3 cold to warm starts and this would reset the light.

Can anyone confirm or advise how I can do this ?
  2. I haven't had this yet (touch wood), but it's fairly common.

Have you done three full engine hot cold cycles yet? It's meant to cancel itself after problem is fixed and it's done 3 cycles.

If you've done three and it's still there then chances are you have a poor electrical connection somewhere. Pull them apart and put them back together again.

This is the most common problem with modern Triumphs. It doesn't do any harm, but the light can be annoying.

I think a dealer can reset it, but if you haven't found the problem it'll come back.
  3. It hasnt gone into the 'Limp-Home' mode so Im sure that theres actually not a problem, its just the removal of the fuses etc that has caused the light to come on.

Ive ridden the bike twice since doing this.

Does the cold to warm cycle have to be done in quick succession, or should this light just eventually go out ?

I was just wondering if I have to sit there and perform the 3 cycles at once or whether it would just eventually go out ?
  4. As ibast says, if there is really no fault, the light will not come on after three heat cycles. Doesn't matter if what time period, in succession or over days or weeks.
    BUT just because it's not in 'limp home' doesn't mean there is no problem. If the light continues to stay on after several cold starts, DO take it to someone who can access the data and find out what it really is.

Good luck with it.
  5. Thanks all !

When I was riding home last night, the light went off.
  6. Ahhhh the interweb, full of help and pron!
  7. I wouldn't mind a useful link to the pron. :LOL:
  8. Loz seems to find all the "interesting" links on the internet!!!