Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Triumph Daytona info

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by BJR, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Hi all, just want your opinions and thoughts on the Triumph Daytona. I am looking at buying a 99 model with low kays. I have always been a Jap bike person and haven't had any, or known anyone with one of these...

2. Hi BJR, and welcome.
    Although mine's a Speed Triple, it's similar to the Daytona your looking at, as its been blessed with a full Daytona spec motor, so I feel qualified to comment. Plus I know a few guys who own 'em (some with more than 100,000k on them).
    It's very unlikely you'll regret it.
    Before Vic (and perhaps Firefling ?) get in with their usual paleolithic comments about how " ...they leak oil like the Exxon Valdez... " blah blah, let me just say that Hinkley Triumphs have absolutely nothing at all in common, mechanically, to the old and maligned (if still loved) Meriden units.
    Don't leak oil. At all. Very robust mechanically. The few defects identified in the T5 series were pretty much sorted out by '99, and in any case were mostly related to wiring insulation, cooling system clips, programming glitches, that sort of thing.
    Don't worry about rumours of snapping frames. None of the affected units ever came to Australia. A handful of very early ones had problems with gearboxes, but that was well and truly sorted by '99.
    Coming from a VFR (as I did), you'll find the Daytona has big power all through the rev range, although not quite the manic top end surge surge of more recent Jap sports kit. But it'll keep up with anything on public roads.
    It's a more sports-oriented riding position than the Viffer, but not too extreme. Some people do tour on them. The handling is excellent, erring on the side of stable rather than quick-turning, and brakes are superb for their day (still damn good).
    Servicing costs are marginally higher than Jap brands, mostly due to spare parts prices being a bit exxy. And you really do need a workshop with specific Triumph experience, at least for the big service intervals (can give some advice on this!).
    Anyway, there's lots of good bikes out there. The Daytona is certainly one of them :)
  3. Gooday BJR
    well it all depends on what does it for ya mate,
    they are not by any means the sharpest tool in the shed!
    But WOW a triple does it for me every time, you will often hear people say "the torque of a twin and power of a four" this is pretty well true, and you need to experience it to fully under stand.
    But dont take much notice of what I or others may say, grab a test ride and see if it puts a smile on your face :)
  4. Thought I'd add a few critical points, in the interests of balance.
    They are not as refined as some people are used to with Jap bikes like, say, Hondas such as your VFR. '97-2000 models make quite a bit of mechanical noise, especially noticeable at idle. Not a cause for concern, usually. Electricals gremlins can occasionally arise, although usually not serious - just annoying.
    And don't break a headlight! Stupidly expensive to replace!