Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Triumph Daytona 675

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by RossiProtege, Nov 25, 2009.

1. I would like all 675 owners to give me as much feedback, information (track-oriented preferred, but street is appreciated as well) about this bike, how much a used 09 model costs and any advice that comes to mind about this bike.

2. Search button dude.
  3. Wow, your new and want everyone to do stuff for you!

4. If you are having difficulty with grasping the difference between first-hand feedback from the average consumer such as yourself, and a magazine review/article etc, then I recommend that you consider researching the topic. If that is not the case then I don't know what you are getting at.
  5. or you could do your own research, by following this kind man's advice. ringing a dealer will tell you how much it costs.
  6. There's heaps of first hand feedback on this site :wink:
  7. Unfortunately Lilley that is not a viable option since I am not in Australia and will be moving here as stated in my thread in the welcome lounge for the first time. So that is why I was hoping on getting info from YOU guys as to how the Daytona fairs on the streets and tracks at Aussie land.

Morbo28, thanks for the heads up, but its just that I haven't found a lot of information so far and I was wondering if any Daytona owners would share their experiences or even link me to them first hand.
  8. Wow! I'm an average consumer! Thanks for letting me know, I never knew, considering you have never met me I suggest pulling your head in.

Some words of advice, this forum runs for many different reasons, including providing information to other riders, such as in this case. If everyone that came on here wanting their questions answered straight away without any input what so ever, the forum would basically be flooded with spam of open ended questions with no anwsers. This is why we have a search tool. Your questions have been answered many times before if you bother to search.

Now, granted searching forums can be difficult and time consuming, hence some people are are feeling kind and helpful will know what exactly to search and therefore link threads as you requested.

This is done if the person is feeling kind and helpful (which is the majority of the time around here) if the recipient has shown some form of input and forum etiquette. Your new, and demanding information, information which has been covered time and time again. To the regulars, it gets annoying and frustrating to see repeat questions, but usually restraint is shown and either advice is given or direction to the search tool is hinted.

When you demand the information then proceed to hang shit on said regulars, you look like a total fukn idiot who won't go to far here. Play it how you like.

I love the Daytona 675, I've got one, and once you actually search some frikking threads, you'll see I do my best to give others advice when needed.

Got the idea?
  9. by your own research, i meant clicking on the search button up the top of the page. for goodness' sake, there is a thread about the daytona currently running in general discussion.
  10. The 675 is probably the most discussed bike on these forums in the last 3 years…
    Search is your friend.

11. Lilley, the thread you are talking about is in the wrong place according to the topic descriptions and was the exact thing I was looking for. Surprisingly it got more responses than this thread even though it is in the wrong sub forum while mine is in the right one. So don't blame me for not seeing it.

Morbo28 kindly directed me to links without having to criticize or flame. (Thanks a bunch)

brownyy, you might be one of the most experienced bike riders on this forum, how the hell would I know. By average consumer you should know that I mean individuals that are not regular racers or test bikes for a living etc. an average consumer can range from someone who haven't even ridden a bike yet to someone with 25 years years of riding experience. Hence the word 'average'.

I was simply asking for help when you first replied by "Wow, your new and want everyone to do stuff for you!

Being new warrants help from regular users, not the other way around. You could have simply directed me to the search bar as others did instead of being rather inconsiderate which doesn't seem to be in your nature after your welcoming comments earlier.

How about putting this behind us and going for a fresh start?
  12. My apologies dude, I shouldn't have jumped the gun like that.

Time for some links, Morbo has already linked Flux's article when he picked up his Daytona.

Have a look at "675net" as its referred to, they have all sorts of information about the Daytona, once it's owned however. On that site you can find out information about mods and common problems etc.

Also, Triumph RAT's is another site for information once you own one; common problems, modifications etc etc.

Currently there's a thread in general as Lilley said, this was my basic in short review of my Daytona;

I've had it for 4 months and 2 days, and I'm on 15,500km's... I love it to bits. When the daily temp gets above the high 20's with the sun out, the heat can start to get uncomfortable. Although I'm a cold climate person (I should be living in Scandinavia). Today or tomorrow I'm hopefully borrowing a mate's IR heat measurement gun to test where the heat is actually coming from. I initially thought it was the under seat pipe, but 675net has advised its the frame and engine. I'll post up the results in this thread.

Living with it is fine as a commuter. I've recently returned to 900km's / week commuting (as apposed to 100km / week - yep those kay's are gonna climb :( ), and I have no problems with wrist pain or any of that. Providing a good rider posture is maintained, i.e. its a sports bike, get over the tank and lower your arms, its very comfy. If I sit up tall with straight arms for more then an hour my wrist starts to remind me to get back down.

Can't think of what else to write atm, its friday morning and work is work...
  13. Alright great, that should keep me busy for some time and thanks for your insightful feedback.

BTW, I'm a cold climate person myself and should be living in the north pole. I certainly wouldn't mind.......(but only if they have a track like Phillip Island there.)
  14. Great to see some people coming up with some links and experiences. However, the flames pretty much all but derailed this thread - onyas.

I've been riding for about two years now, currently on a CBR250RR. Have test ridden the CBR1000RR 2008, CBR600RR 2008 (umm, actually rode this before the 1KRR) and GSX-R600 2009.

I was able to take the 1KRR out for about two hours and it was fantastic. But, way too much bike for the road. In the sense that you just get so impatient with traffic. Plus, it is so damn stable that you can't get off the seat at legal speeds... the bike just doesn't require you to and does't really give you the chance. Plus, I went through almost two tanks of fuel in those two hours... just not a bike for everyday road use.

The CBR600RR made much more sense on the road, but didn't have the same "$100,000 Holden HSVs' in your mirrors" aggression and power. Beautiful bike though.

The 09 GSX-R600 I didn't like at all. Nothing about it was engaging. Not the quality, geometry, responsiveness or the performance (I thought it was pedestrian by comparison to the CBR600RR).

So, now I am probably going to convert from Honda and join the many Triumph fans on their Daytonas. Will be test riding one this December 09. I'm torn between getting a second hand 2007 'Scortched Yellow' model and a new 2009 model. The yellow bike is my colour of choice, but the things I've been hearing about the 2009 suspension and subtle improvements leaves me wondering. The thing is, either bike is going to be light years improvement over the 250 (yeah, of course it is).

The rational thing would be to get the yellow 2007 model. Anyone know of one for sale in great condition having been lovingly looked after?

Check out this awesome pic of the yellow 2007:

15. I've got an 06 and I ride road and track.

The bike is fantastic. On the road the triple is really good, you still have to hunt around the gearbox but once you get over 6k rpm you'll leave almost everything for dead. Handling is fine (more on this soon). Fuel consumption around the 6.5litres/100km. I can do distance as mentioned you need to adopt a good psoture. Keep your shoulders down, bend over and relax! Don't ride it like a squid!

On the track (EC) the engine is good. Around the back the triple is really good as you get good drive. Down the front straight it loses out to bigger and I4 bikes as there is not as much top end. Down the front straight of Phillip Island you will struggle. It is important at turn 12 EC to get that corner right.

The biggest let down of the bike is the stock suspension. The front is okish, the rear shock is utter crap. The rear shock is way over sprung for pretty much everyone and since it uses a rubber bladder it is a poor design. The front with its stock valving does not have a lot of adjustment. Both ends you need to change the clickers a lot to get any sort of change and the rear is always too harsh. The stock suspension doesn't inspire confidence and the rear shock being over damped makes you run wide on the exit of corners.

However with it's high ride height and heavy front end bias the bike turns and turns quick. You will turn too early for the first few times you ride the bike. I recommend whatever bike you buy to do the superbike school. Some people don't like this as it can be unsettling. You can fix this a little by running a front tyre with a rounder front profile (bridgestone). Or you can increase it by running a more v front tyre (like any michelin). I've just put a set of Dunlop GP Racer 209's (dot race tyre) on in preparation for a track day - the bike should slide now too! :)

I have had my suspension redone. On the front I had a piston kit added and on the rear I went to a penske 8983. While I haven't had it on the track since, it feels a lot better done the putty road. I can carry more entry speed, I get more feel and I can change my line when necessary half way around a corner. On the track this should translate to not running wide on exits either. Turn 2 (double apex) should be easier as the rebound will work quicker allowing me to be more confident with the second turn in. Some suspension techs will say you can revalve the rear shock (considerably cheaper than an aftermarket). Dont bother you will need to rebuild it inside 6 months and the rubber bladder will mean it feels different everytime it is rebuilt.

So in summary a very good bike but let down with the stock suspension. The stock suspension is fine if you just ride on the street, but it does not take long to start finding limitations on the track. Maintainnence is straightforward. Being British the bike is easy to take apart, the fairings are off inside 30 mins, the wheels inside 20.

Give it some love and it will serve you very well.
  16. mrkotter, that was a very useful account of your experiences with the bike - awesome. Thank you. I have read a review of the bike (one of many reviews) which described the same experience with the suspension of the 2006 - 2008 675s:

I am leaning towards getting the 2007 Scorched Yellow model and installing aftermarket suspension. However, before I can make that call, can you provide exact details of the components you purchased, their cost at the time, and why you chose those specific brands?

Thanks very much.
  17. Ok, suspension is a very personal choice. Everyone has their own preferences. Secondly it's probably better to sink money into some training before buyins costly suspension. Good suspension will only make you faster if you have the skill and ability to go faster. So ride it stock for awhile and see what you think.

I went with this bloke http://zenodamper.com.au/ why? He has a very good reputation and will work with you, he doesn't talk you into things but it does take time to work with him. There are other options, a lot of people swear by Terry Hay like I swear by Zenodamper.

The choice of suspension tech then decides what choices you have. Zeno is more familiar with Penske (but does work with Ohlin). So for me Penske is a better choice for me. If you're suspension tech doesn't know much about a particular brand go with something else, after all they are the ones setting it up. You can get the stock shock revalved and resprung (resprung is essential) but any stock shock on any 600 is average. How I understand it, a aftermarket is the only way to solve the problems of a stock 675 shock. Another related issue is the stock linkages (06-08) are harsh. Work well with my penske not so good with a stock shock. I had an aftermarket set but my suspension tech did not like them, but he said they would work well with an ohlins or stock shock. The 09 onwards have 'softer' linkages like my aftermarket ones. But it is not really a problem depending on what shock you go with and how you like your bike. Again ride and see what you like.

This leads me to a point; I have not said one brand is better than another. Penske and Ohlins are just good as each other they just work different. (However I have heard reports elka shocks are average). It depends on what your suspension tech can work with. Due to Ohlins sponsoring a lot of motorcycling a lot of people have Ohlins on the brain (this is their disadvantage).

Front end you have a lot of options, revalve (cheaper), piston kit (what I have), cartridge kit (expensive) and you can swap springs. Piston kit replaces the internals. Stock forks (for all motorcycles) have not a lot of adjustability mainly so it suit most people. Meaning you have to move the adjusters a lot to get any sort of change. I'm not an experienced rider but even now one click I can feel a difference before it was 2 and I would feel a small change. Changing springs is not essential, only if they are totally incorrect for your weight.

So what do I have? Zeno's piston kit in the front and a Penske 8983 (double clicker) shock. All up? A touch shy under $2k. Could I have done it cheaper? Yes, you can get shocks a lot cheaper online. I went this way as now I have an understanding of suspension I can build on. I have some idea of what way to adjust. This is far more important than having the best at the cheapest price. A penske 8983 is in the middle of the range but fark me its a good shock. The next one up, a triple clicker would add too much complexity for me in adjustments. Besides you can sometimes take an aftermarket shock to your next bike or if you can't they are easy to sell (do not sell the stock shock they are worth nothing, keep it and put it back on the bike when you sell it and sell the aftermarket separate).

This is a long post and congrats if you made it this far! :LOL: While this paints a bad picture for the 675 all bikes (except maybe the top end ducs which still need to be rebuilt for your weight) suffer from their stock suspension. In the push for lower price, suspension quality suffers. Most Jap 600's suffer from being undersprung while the 675 for most is oversprung. To finish if you're interested in the 675 check out www.triumph675.net a lot of smart 675 owners post there and the threads are intelligible unlike 600rr or gsxr forums :LOL:
  18. Yeah, nice write-up mrkotter... =D>