Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Triumph D675 - alternator problems

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by snuff3r, Oct 9, 2013.

1. The engine in my 2011 Daytona 675 has been randomly cutting out. After a week of having the bike i'm being told it's the crankshaft position sensor that's playing up and that i'm looking at having to replace the whole alternator (stator and assembly). Anyone got any suggestions on where i can source a replacement stator assembly, the shop is telling me $700 alone just for parts, another $300+ for labour.

fcuking annoying considering that the bike is one month out of warranty. Also, who designs something with sensors but doesn't build in a replacement sensor system. Incredible that you need to replace the entire assembly. :mad:

2. #2 Tinkerer, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    From pictures, it looks like the pickup coil is separate from the stator, but the wires go into a common harness so that they exit the motor through a single rubber grommet. A number of manufacturers use this setup, with some being able to be bought separately, but most are sold as an assembly. Yes it is annoying, but you can buy aftermarket pickup coils to replace yours for less than $100.

They are however a little tricky to remove & replace the wires from the rubber grommet & feed the new wires up through the common harness covering. Also you may need to source some electrical connectors to match the genuine ones, as the new pickup coils usually do not have any connectors on them (or just solder them). Also makes sure the wires are connected the right way around, as this can put the timing out if reversed.

I have successfully replaced a number of pickup /crank position coils with aftermarket ones, but keep in mind that the quality might not be as good as the original. But as your original has failed just out of warranty, they can't be much worse.

Some manufacturers will still assist you outside the warranty period depending on the type of failure. Might be worth a try to ask the dealership to call triumph and present your case to them.

Had a mate who's 675 was intermittently cutting out & dropping a cylinder. Ended up being a stick coil. Does yours just stop dead every time, or would it sometimes just loose a cylinder?

3. Just drops out. Posted elsewhere:

I've got a 2011 Daytona 675. It has run smoothly since buying it new and i've racked 13,500 km up on it.

This weekend i was out on the bike. When i finished up with where i was, i got on the bike, and tried to start it. The starter turned, and turned, and turned..but no start. Odd...

I had my companion give me a push, dropped the clutch and hit the starter at the same time, it started and away i went. 50m up the road, i clutched in and coasted whilst i waited for my companion to catch up when the engine cut out. All power remained (lights, display, etc), just no engine. I came to a stop, put it in neutral and tried to start it. Nothing. Power remained on but the starter wouldn't turn or make a noise. After keying it on and off a few times and toggling the killswitch i eventually got the starter to turn again and it started almost straight away. About 1 min of idling in neutral it cut again.

I got it towed home and decided to leave it for that day.

The next day i got the bike out and headed off on my commute. Halfway to work i clutched in a set of lights, engine cut and i had to repeat the above. Luckily it stalled on a downward hill, so i was able to clutch start it again.

I've decided to not ride if for the time being as i don't want the engine cutting out in a turn or roundabout.

Recent history:
    - The bike has a history of jamming EXUP and about 3 months ago it jammed up again. The bike shop has just told me that the cables have snapped and will be replacing them under warranty.
    - About a month ago the battery died, completely flat. I charged it and have been giving it a fortnightly charge since.

Anybody experienced anything similar? The shop has told me that the ECU isn't returning any errors other than the EXUP related stuff.
  4. Push Triumph to foot the bill, or at least cover parts. They're generally pretty good!
  5. Snuff3r. Don't go to the dealer. Ring triumph direct. They have known problems with the teh/rectifier which sound like what you're having a problem with. The workshop will try stuff you around because they don't want the job during spring/summer. They'd rather be changing oil as it's guaranteed money. Talk directly to triumph Australia and state your position about just being out of warranty and that quality of product is horrible if they fail just out of warranty. There was a recall on reg/rec for 09 and earlier. But also the job itself to do the stator is not that hard or expensive.

Stator and reg/rec package.

Get a new gasket for the stator cover and scrape the old off well. The new gasket goes on dry and the stator cover is torqued to 8nm I believe. I used to have a chart. Here it is in pdf link

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I'd already taken it to the dealer by the time i'd posted this. I just posted this in another forum:

The labour costs suck but that's biking for you, not cheap.

Thanks for the suggestions!
  7. Sounds like a good outcome then!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Hmmm. Had similar problem with my 2012 street triple about 6 weeks ago. Mine just wouldn't start. Faulty crank position sensor. Luckily all the work was done under warranty.
  9. Its a design fault.
  10. Vertical c is going to tell you it's an inherent design issue. He's completely against triumphs. Although I had a 675R that never had an issue in the entire time I owned it. Vertical c is a very negative person and forgets quickly that Suzuki had a stator/sensor issue for a very long time with gsxrs
  11. Probably all sourced from the same #1 chinese auto electix company called 'sumjunk ltd', and you can include a range of kawasaki stators in that lot as well...
  12. #12 Vertical C, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
    I just stated a fact. It is a design fault (exhaust is too close to the alrernator) Why defend a faulty product

I also know that Suzuki make faulty products. I own one.
  13. All bikes have their faults, regardless of brand, especially charging issues. May not be a design fault as such but more a sub contracted part that doesn't meet its tolerance specifications.

Good to hear you got it fixed, I always hear good reports of Triumph looking after customers with parts stuff.
  14. All bikes include Triumph, you are going to get called negative for that, Triumph never make bad bikes according to some.
  15. Just because it has a part fault, doesn't make it a bad bike.
  16. Tell that to someone that is pushing it home.
  17. First problem i've had with it in two years.

Compared to my old hyosung.. well..
  18. #18 Vertical C, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

Well if you are going to set the bar Hyosung low then you may be happy lol.

But in reality 2 years on a brand new bike is not impressive, especially since it is not a first year model. They have been making them since 2006, they should not have design flaws anymore.

So is it in warranty, I would still be trying to get Triumph to pay for it, or at least some of it. The fanbois might think its ok but you shouldnt accept a bike that is not fit for purpose, i think there is a reasonable expectation a bike that costs $17k should last more than two years.

Edit. I would expect any manufacturer not just Triumph to last more than two years if it cost $17k, so this is not just a Triumph hate.

19. It is no a design fault, it is a 3rd party part that has failed and likely corrected in a revised part or uprated spec.

Take your Triumph trolling somewhere else where people actually care to read it. I grow tired of reading your constant Triumph hate posts. I'm surprised you even have time to ride a bike, sitting on forums day in day out waiting for these sorts of threads to come up.
  20. #20 Vertical C, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    That is still not fit for purpose, just because a third party provided the part for the manufacturer that doesn't remove the manufacturers responsibility to provide a product that is fit for purpose.

Why don't you want Triumph to make a better bike, even if you believe that they make the best bike on the market, curing this third party problem will make it better. If people don't complain then how will Triumph know it is a problem and fix it in their future bikes.

Isn't it better for Triumph owners for it to be corrected?

I would expect the same of any manufacturer with a bike in that price point. It has nothing to do with Triumph.

I bet I do more kms than you.