Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Triumph Bonneville fuel consumption and carburetor issues

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by plusone, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Fist time posting here so be gentle with me :)

I have a 2008 Triumph Bonneville - base model with some mods:
    - Thruxton pipes (sorry can't remember exact name)
    - tacometer

My problem is twofold:
    - fuel consumption (approx 175km on 13 litres), poor!
    - some idling and problems with cutting out

My mechanic has looked at the jetting for the carburetor and done a few changes to it to try to get it in line with what's appropriate for the exhaust pipes. This is an ongoing issue that we are looking at and at the moment the settings are acceptable (not perfect though), we'll be looking at getting the Thruxton jets next and see if that helps but they have to come from England.

My biggest concern is the fuel consumption. I bought the bike from a dealer in another state so can't take it back to them to look at. Does anyone have any advice or past experience with this kind of thing - from everything I've read I should get better fuel consumption than that even with the thristier pipes!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Is that figure for open road riding, or in traffic around town?

If it's for highway speeds I would think it's poor, but if it includes getting stuck in traffic, lots of cold starts per tank etc., then it's probably only a little high. Your usage pattern may vary from the average.

It does sound like you need some more work on the jets and needles, though. (I'm surprised to find that '08s weren't injected).
  3. thanks for the reply.

I live in Canberra so its a bit of mix of city riding and 80km zones, not that many traffic jams in Canberra. The consumption has improved slightly from when I first got it a last September (was about 160km/13L) - so the consumption figures are for all seasons - but take your point about cold starts.

The bikes manufacture date was Nov 2007 so last of the carburetor models.