Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Triumph Bonneville Flat bike record

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Vertical C, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Guy Martin to attempt landspeed world record with Triumph at Bonneville Salt Flats

Triumph Motorcycles confirms Guy Martin will chase new landspeed record attempt this August

Guy Martin is set to attempt to break the landspeed world record in association with Triumph.

As it stands, the current motorcycle land speed record is held at 376.363mph, but British motorbike brand Triumph has confirmed that they will be attempting to exceed that speed over the measured mile. This Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) world record attempt will take place next month (August 24 - 27, 2015) at the salt flats of Bonneville, USA.

The purpose built 1,000 bhp Triumph Rocket III Streamliner will be debuted by Isle of Man TT racing Legend and TV presenter, Guy Martin. As a lover of speed, Guy will competing in the Division C (streamlined motorcycle) category and is said to be elated at the prospect of bringing the land speed record back to both Triumph and the UK after a long 45 years.

Triumph are hopeful that Guy will be joining their list of the other record-breaking Triumph stars which include: Devil's Arrow, Texas Cee-gar, Dudek Streamliner and Gyronaut X1. Today's bar, held by Rocky Robinson, who rode the Top Oil-Ack Attack streamliner back in 2010, sits quite comfortably at 376.363 mph (605.697 km/h). However, Triumph is no stranger to victory as they held the title of 'World's Fastest Motorcycle' from 1955 to 1970, minus a short 33 day period.

If you're wondering what makes the 2015 Triumph Rocket Streamliner so special, it's powered by methanol fuel and features a carbon Kevlar monocoque construction with two turbocharged Triumph Rocket III engines producing a combined 1,000 bhp at 9,000 rpm. Not lacking in size, it's a healthy 25.5 feet long, 2 feet wide and 3 feet tall.

The renowned Bonneville name was coined after Johnny Allen's land-speed record ran at the Salt Flats in September 1955, when he reached the record breaking speed of 193.72 mph. The first T120 Bonneville model was presented at the Earls Court Bike Show, before going on sale in 1959. We wish Triumph the best of luck in their endeavours next month.

Finally Triumph is actually doing some racing. Though going in a straight line is something that Harley might do.
  2. Wow!! That is some machine!! I wonder if they will reuse "The Castrol Rocket" or it will be a new ground up build?

3. I wonder if these guys ever get that relative motion speed thing where you think you've stopped but you're really still travelling at 200kph.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. I wish him all the best, this record had withstood some pretty serious efforts over the years. In the forty years since Don Vesco first broke through the coveted 300mph barrier, the record has only ridden by 76mph, despite many millions of dollars being spent on it...
  5. This appears to be the machine :)

6. This would ruffle a few feathers around here, it has ABS (Switchable).
  7. Pffft......obviously not a "real" rider. :hungry:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. I guess hi vis would be irrelevant at those speeds
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Well the whole machine is black so I guess High Viz is out. Maybe Guy will be wearing High Viz and heaven forbid, should he crash they will be able to find him when he lands 3km away ;)

That sounded funny in my head :whistle:
    • Funny Funny x 1