Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tricks of the Trade

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Archaeon, Apr 15, 2012.

1. It's probably scattered throughout the forum, but I want to get everyone's little tips and tricks they've either learned, picked-up or discovered when it comes to motorcycling. This can be absolutely anything.

They may be kick ass tips, shortcuts.. or they could in fact turn out to be a pretty bad habit. Share them here for the community and possibly yourself to learn from.

Some obvious ones I've pick-up along the way are...

• Maneuvering very low speed turns (like a U-turn) the lazy way, I hold the clutch in, turn, then play with the clutch "biting" point to move the bike.
    • Lift a downed bike with your legs. Back to the bike, hand holding the front brake, bending down and lift with you legs doing majority of the work.
    • If I am first at the lights, until a vehicle has come to a complete stop behind me, I always leave it in first gear, clutch in and keep an eye on whoever is coming up behind me.
    • Putting on my left glove first, then my right glove (i'm right handed) is so much easier than doing it the other way around.
    • Always in gear when parked with steering lock on

2. There is almost always more lean available, so if you run into a corner too hot, look where you want to go and push hard. Trust your tyres.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. With the third one you mentioned being the first one at the lights . I do the same, they teach you that when going for your license. They call it being in the "ready" position.
    But I also tap the back brake a couple of times if I am already at the lights in hope they notice the brake light flashing. If I am travelling in front of the traffic I slow it down if there's a red light so there's not a big gap back to the traffic and they don't come flying up behind you trying to guess the lights and gas it through. On the u-turns I use the back brake.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dont believe everything you read on the internet.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Good work.
    They are the most important thing you have riding on the road.
    Mirrors and head checks.
    This has to become a natural movement when riding in traffic. Or you will end up in all sorts of trouble.
    Use your mirrors every minute. It does take time for your brain to get up to speed to take in all the information it's getting. At first it will be a blurr. But do it. Set your mirrors so a slight movement left or right with your head will show your shoulder and arm. It should be focused in the lane to your right or left respectively.
    A head check is simply looking from the ahead position to the mirror on which side your intending on going to the ground beside your back wheel. Up to the mirror and then cross the line.
    I see many trying to look behind them when they head check. That's not a head check that's looking behind you and ignoring your mirrors.
    Focusing far enough ahead relative to the speed you are traveling.
    Like when approaching an intersection. Don't just look at the car ahead. LOOK at the intersection. Where can I be to be in the best position. The best position in where you will be seem by so many !!! And by the greatest danger.
    You don't need to be on a bike to study an intersection. You can be sitting on a bus. Train the brain.
    Bored now lol. But also remember focus not fixation. It really is hard to take your eyes from what might kill you. But it will save your life.
    I cant give you an exercise for this... well cept be an idiot and put yourself in the crapper to find out what you will do ha ha.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. not if they are cold
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Ha, I also do this... not sure if it would help but I do it anyway. And as for the ready position, if you stop like this at every set of traffic lights then doing otherwise feels very wrong. It quickly becomes a habit.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. dose'nt matter.
    best option is always to lean more and keep looking where you want to go.
    that requires faith. but if you flinch from it, you lose.
  9. bingo.

don't look at the cager who just did something stupid.
    look at the gap.
    where your nose is pointing is where you will be going, intended or not.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. How do you turn the bike in a stationery position using the kick stand?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. fit a cheap ex russian warhead to the front of your bike.
    that way, if anyone pulls out in front of you,
    will blow a ****ing big hole through them.
  13. u n ur rockets ....

Rainbow7, vids worth a thousand words (y)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. The rear brake is a very valuable tool, at low speeds.
  15. To this day, I have yet to grasp the concept of stabilising the bike with the rear brake...
  16. Just do it, during some slowish manouvering and you will see the results, Understanding it, is not a pre-requisite.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Nah, the Soviet-era stuff wasn't very reliable. - The Taliban could probably sell you some leftover Stingers, though...
  18. Usually don't include cruisers in this.
    Most weight is over the front wheel when balancing it on the stand. Stand beside the bike with your right hip into the middle of it. And pull it back towards you by the bars.
    Once the front wheel is up I put a hand on the rear to balance it. You can feel the weight front to rear. The trick is to get that even. Once it is it is on the stand and swing away baby
  19. noob specific.
    when you go for your fulls. the instructor wants to see nice big pronounced nods.
    circle the course and each time you pass him, look straight at him and nice big nods
  20. What are some things anyone attempting a wheelie should ALWAYS keep in mind.. or Avoid under all circumstances?

• Always keep your foot over the rear brake, and gently apply them if the front comes up way more than you're comfortable with.
    • Always practice on an empty straight, clean stretch of road.. No parked cars, no residentials, no pedestrians, no water (ie rain)
    • Always practice whilst in the company of a mate or two - in case something happens, you've got backup. Don't be fooled into thinking you'll look like loser/idiot because you can't pop it up. Everyone learns at a difference pace.
    • Always be properly protected - ATGATT. Monos are dangerous, YOUR bike is the only thing you should be willing to sacrifice if you want to attempt wheelies. Not your limbs, not innocent by-standers and not other peoples property.
    Don't expect to pop a mono after a few tries.. or even a few days of trying. It usually starts with the front lifting a couple of cms. Your natural reaction will be easing off the throttle as soon as it lifts. Get used to the lift, then climb gradually as you practice more. You didn't hop on your first bike and gunned it down the road at 80km/h after you worked out how the clutch worked.. You need to get used to how the bike responds.

• Never land with the front brakes engaged
    • Never chance an impact with anything when popping a wheelie, if in doubt, don't do it
    • Never practice at night. You need to see where you are going and what is happening around you
    • Never be intimidated by your mates or others who give you shit about your attempts.
    • Never give shit to people who are learning to pop wheelies, that's slack, but more to the point, it's adding undue pressure on the learner. Give them pointers, but don't bag em out for trying.
    • Like Like x 1