Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Travelling to the Netrider Dinner

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by hornet, Sep 28, 2005.

1. OK, so I'm riding down to Melbourne for the Netrider Dinner, travelling down on the the Tuesday, and planning on using the Princes Highway, cos I've been travelling the Hume for over 30 years and it bores me rigid.
    So, what do I need to know beyond Eden, road conditions, turn-offs, and actual route through Victoria, (never travelled it ever)?

2. Well, you could ride past my place in the Latrobe Valley.

At Eden head inland onto the Imlay Rd and follow it to the Cann River-Bombala highway. Then head Sth (turning left) to Cann River. Follow the Princes Highway as far as Bairnsdale. Then head out to Briagalong, etc. winding your way through past Tyers up towards Walhalla. Then head onto Willow Grove, get onto Icy Creek Road, then head to Noojee and follow the road to Powelltown, then Yarra Junction. You're now near the NE outskirts of Metro MEL.

OR, you can head inland to Cooma from Eden/Merimbula, and after refueling, head up past Jindabyne, etc. to Tintaldra. The next day, head to Bright via Tumut, Khancoban and Corryong. Then the next day, head to Whitfield, up to Mansfield, then to Eildon via Jameson and some nice dirt. Then head in to Melbourne via Melba Highway, I think it is.

Some good routes. The Princes Highway is the quickest, all the way, but reasonably boring.
  3. Thanks for that, I shall go to the NRMA tomorrow and ferret out some maps that I can take with me. After Powelltown I'm right, because I used to live in Yarra Junction!!!!
  4. If you want, I can email you a map of the NE Vic/SE NSW that I use in conjunction with my GPS mapping software. While not as detailed as a normal road map, it has major roads and you can print out as many copies as you wish for marking up, etc..

PM me if interested.