Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Travelling the Savannah Way

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by AndrewB, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Hi All,

I planning a trip from Darwin to Cairns along the Savannah Way in May/June this year and would like to get some insight on the unsealed sections... We will be two up on a GS1200 with panniers.. I am a reasonable dirt road rider...

Any pitfalls?

• Like Like x 1
  2. My OH and I did the Savannah Way from Cairns to Darwin back in 2014 (4 wheel drive). There were very few places to pull up to make camp from memory and we found this really frustrating. The scrub goes right to the edges of the road in a lot of places. The corrugations were not too drastic but I can't tell you what the current state of the unsealed sections are now of course. The biggest problem we found were actually the sealed sections. Road trains that use this road have little regard for other road users. I managed to steer away from one on the wrong side of the road into the dirt by a bee's dick without rolling the Cruiser. Some of the sealed sections are only wide enough for 1 vehicle with jagged edges and the problem is that you can't see their dust on the sealed sections, like you can on the dirt so be extra vigilant especially on crests and bends. They travel right smack bang in the middle of it at high speed. We did it in mid June and there were a few water crossings. Not too deep, but again that could vary significantly with the preceding season's rain fall. Being in a cruiser with dual tanks meant that we didn't have to think about fuel, so you may need to do some homework on fuel stops.

Beautiful part of the world, but not without it's dangers. There were a few wrecked vehicles on that route and according to Hell's Gate Roadhouse, it's because tourists think it's okay to use cruise control then suddenly find themselves on dirt with a bend!

This website has some information and down the bottom of the page there is a link to camera's at the water holes so you can see if they are passable or not. Road Conditions - Carpentaria Shire Council

Take care and have fun.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. AndrewBAndrewB
    Good luck! I have my sights on this trip too, so start a blog or event on here to track progress! I'll be most keen ;-)