Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Travel time to airport?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by rugbyfiend, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Hey guys,

So I'm looking at booking flights for my first MotoGP race this year!

I have somewhere to stay with a cousin who will have a place in Cowes, but I'm pretty restricted by my work, so I am planning on flying down from Sydney Saturday morning, renting a car and getting there in time for qualy, then after the top class race itself (1600-1700 including podium I reckon), I was going to drive immediately back to Melbourne airport. Last flight back to Sydney is at 2100.

The question is, can I make it? I figure with carry-on only, the latest I should get to the airport is at 2000-2015 to have time to take the car back and get through security etc.

Does this sound doable? I note it's about a 2 hour drive from the track to the airport, but I figure there will be some time getting out of the car park and traffic leaving the island.

Would appreciate any input from someone who's been.

2. Airport to Track MotoGP express buses would be my suggestion.
    Give them a call and see what time they made it to the airport last year.
    It will be very close, IMHO. It can take up to an hour just to get 4+ wheel traffic off the island.
  3. You probably thought of this. What about flying early the next morning?
  4. I reckon you're pushing shit up hill trying to fly out Sunday night. Last year we moved about 30 meters in the carpark, then sat there for an hour and we were going to Cowes not leaving the Island.
    Getting to the track on Saturday, I'd bank on 2 hours from the airport.
  5. Not a chance of getting off the island and to the airport in that time by car IMO. Can take almost two hours just to cross the bridge at San Remo on race day.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thanks a lot for the responses guys, I appreciate it. I will send enquiries to the bus service, and I'm actually seriously considering the chopper. It's not that outrageously expensive.

I don't get any real leave this year, and am working a lot of overtime at the moment, so it can be a little holiday treat.

• Like Like x 1