Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Travel in marked lane with parked cars?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by grue, Feb 8, 2011.

1. What's the legality of this, anyone know offhand? For example, Dandenong Road often has cars parked in the leftmost lane, is it legal for me to ride between those cars and the next lane? I can't see anything in the road rules to make me think this is illegal, but the idea of it struck me a few minutes ago and I'm curious as to if it's legal.

2. Good question. I too would like to know this. Apart from the obvious danger of one of the cars opening a door, I often find that with some roads in the city, you either ride in that lane with parked cars, or in the next lane with tram tracks.

3. Do you really care?

:rofl:

I'm pretty sure if you can fit, it's fine.

At least that's how I've been handling it.

4. I don't care what they like, I just care what they can give me tickets for :angel:

(Unrelated: Holy jesus my front tyre was low on air and I didn't realize it, and it's fuuuuuuuucked upppppppp now. Getting a new front several months earlier than planned :( )

5. That's cos you're lazy & never come & visit ;)

6. That's true! It's clearly bad karma!

7. As far as I understand, if the little bit between the parked cars and the other lane is not marked as a bike lane, then it's fine. You are in a separate lane as shown by the markings on the road. You have to be wary though, obviously.