Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Trapped under 210kgs of BMW and a ton of stupid

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Marick, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Yeh, not exactly a 'road bike' near miss, but hey, here goes.

Having spent an eternity on the tarmac (literally, just rode from Taree to the Sunny Coast in a sitting) I decided I very much needed the calm respite that only nature and gravel could offer. So I headed down to the Beerwah State Forest to meander through some tight trails when stupid slapped me down to reality.

I was riding along a tight wheel rut (not fun) that was well stocked with Extra Smooshy Sand (very not fun). But I was all good, I'd done this before, but this was how it played out.

Stand up. Lean back. Hug tank with knees. Look straight ahead. Dont look down, remember Milhouse! (I fear to watch yet I cannot look away). Let front wheel find its track. Over correct wheel auto-correct. DONT front brake! Keep momentum up. WTF, front wheel slices into sand. Damnit Im leaning forward. Front wheel digs in. Skips over rut onto hard sand. Front wheel hard sand, back wheel soft sand. Back comes round. Whole bike launches onto hard sand. Bike dips hard to the right. Sit down. Wait...did you say sit down? Yep. Oh, wrist naturally rolls to open throttle as you sit. Sitting down. Accelerating. Transfer all weight to front wheel. Transfer all weight to ground. Transfer head (really new helmet) into ground. Transfer F800GS onto leg. Transfer pain to brain.

Sort of like that, if that makes any sense to all besides the dual sport riders.

So what did I do wrong? I allowed my superior intellect to kick in and over correct the front wheel auto-tracking through the sand, sat down as I started to accelerate, thus putting my weight back onto the bike, and the front wheel which dug in and the bike came down very hard on top of me.

Its amazing just how quickly panic sets in when you find yourself alone, in the middle of a state forest with 210kgs resting on your leg in a manner that screams at you that amputation will be your only option for survival.

Heres a vid...yes I wanted a selfie for my loving parents to cherish if the coyotes got to me before the SES.

• Like Like x 1
  2. What tyre pressures were you running? And what tyres were you running?
  3. I love the way u set the camera up before u get the bike off your leg. Pure genius. Glad your ok
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. i promised myself that if I ever couldn't, then I wouldn't ride it.
  5. dont know if to laugh or not? much damage?
  6. Oh you had to ask. Full pressure. GS rims apparently are renowned for bending, and considering I was only going for a short ride I elected not to lower. So 32 front, 38 rear I think. Those are Annakee 2s.

No damage to the bike. Xrays revealed no broken bones, and some lovely bone structure if I might add. Tendon damage that is taking way too damn long to heal.

By all means laugh mate...it was a hell of an off and ruined a bloody near new helmet when my head smacked the ground.
  7. Naah not laughing..
    Riding off road is the best part of riding. If that is what you enjoy doing then set your bike up for it, drop those pressures to around 18psi and get something like tkc80 as a bare minimum for sand.
  8. Adventure riding solo adds a whole other dimension to the experience especially when something goes wrong, for me, that's part of the thrill.

Well written account of a simple oops.
    I have too have realised the value of tyre pressure adjustment.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. been there done that but I had someone to lift the bike (aprilia) off.
  10. 18PSI and Im increasing the chance of puncturing. Running tubeless rims means the whole wheel is coming off to repair. I get your point though and will run them down to 22/24 front 26/28 rear. Heidenau are coming up once the Anakees are worn through as I do too much riding on bitumen.
  11. You worry too much had my mate stuck on the side of a mountain on a 260kg super teneree. The only way he got out of there was to drop his rear tyre to 16psi he then road at those lressures for another 30km before reinflating
  12. I worry as much as my apathy would be overcome with strenuous labour. Actually rode the bike for a few months on road with 20PSI in the front and 26 in the rear. Just forgot to check. Handled without a hiccup.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. So, are you glad you didn't buy the 1200?
  14. #14 positron, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
    If he had the 1200, he'd probably still be there, filming his last dying moments deciding on whether to cut off his leg or not. Hehehehe
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Yeh I doubt the lift with the leg on the panneir frame would have done much with the 1200. Might need to work out more in any case.
  16. Mate, welcome to adventure riding!
    Learn from it and try not doing the same thing again.
    If you start going down, try to step off the bike. Adv-bikes are heavy especially when loaded up.

You have a dual sport bike with 50/50 tyres.
    You will get riding tips from guys with more trail/enduro bikes, suggesting you do this and that. I'd suggest find a safe place (old quarries are good) and practice low speed balance techniques.
    I would agree that you tyre pressures were a bit high, however, when riding tar then dirt, sometimes at high speeds, l keep my pressures around 24psi front and rear, not perfect.... but a compromise.
    Regarding riding in ruts, l try to avoid it; however, if l drop in, l have found it best to stay in them an ride them to the end. Trying to get the front out can easily bring you unstuck.

I ride alone myself, l assess and try to minimise risks as much as possible. This includes techniques, risk assesments and what l will do if things go wrong (l always carry a first-aid kit and food/water just in case l need to spend a night in the bush), and communication devices. If l go remote, l hire a sat phone & ensure l know my gps coordinates, many use spot trackers also.

Regarding, being pinned by the bike, ll had this early on in my adv-riding, although my bike pinned me in about 2 foot of water for around a hour, where l thought l might drown. Somehow, l got out when panic set in, got the bike upright and out of the bog, started and rode straight to hospital to learn l had a broken ankle... try never to be in that situation again.