Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Transporting A Bike To Europe

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Pleiades, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Hi all, I'm moving to Europe in a few months, and will be trying to sell my NC29 race bike and buy something over there, as it would be way cheaper than shipping it. If that doesn't happen, I may need to ship the bike across, so looking for some pointers on who I can look at for shipping the bike from Melbourne to the Netherlands.

2. I don't know about the Netherlands but I do know riders that have shipped bikes internationaly. Sometimes the shipping cost is the cheapest bit..it's the taxes, import duties, tarriffs and engineering inspections at the other end that are the real big expense.
    A bloke I know imported a bike he owned in the UK for years. He really liked the bike so he pulled it completely apart, and I mean completely, packed all the bits seperately and had a mate ship them over here over a shortish time frame. He saved heaps on tax.
    Go to a shipping agent and check. They know all the info.
  3. there's a story of a 70's road racer who carried a complete TZ-750 Yamaha race bike, broken down into bits and packed in several suitaces, from Sydney to NZ for a race series :LOL:

Not suggesting that, mind you, just saying that it has been done

I have a feeling an airport X-Ray scanner might have a fit if you did that today
  4. I should mention a funny element to the saga.. He assembled the bike in a spare bedroom of an upstairs flat in Richmond. It took him several months as he did some resto work and tarting up while the bike was in bits. He finally finished his pride and joy only to find it was too big to fit out of the appartment. Phone up some burley mates, front end removed off the bike, manhandle the bike through the apparment as his very nervous girlfriend was watching we didn't damage the walls, out the front door and the front end goes back on for the trip down the stairs, down two flights ok but the first floor landing was an issue but nothing that brute strength couldn't solve. The neighbours had a great day looking on.
  5. that sounds like the on-going conundrum of Jethro Gibbs (NCIS) building a boat in his basement :LOL: