Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Transport Ramps

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by J_B, Sep 1, 2006.

1. I hope I'm posting in the right category....

Would it be worth going to a alluminium welding workshop to get a ramp made up, as opposed to paying premium price at a dealer?

Whats a good price for a ramp? There seems to be a few around, varying from $100 to $400.

I'd probably sit the bike on the ramp whilst in the back of the ute for stability. The tubliner is a bit slippery. Would I need to secure the ramp, or will the tiedowns on the bike suffice to keep it stable?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mo.

PS, the search function wasnt working.

2. If you have a Ford ute there is an accessories pack that includes a ramp and ties down points specifically for the mc sector.

3. Ventura make a walk in stand to secure your front wheel in the ute. Worth a look. :)

4. Thanks G,

Tis a Holden (VY)

Mo

5. When I was racing I had two simple lengths of 2x2" wood secured to the floor of the ute with wingnuts. the bike wheels sat in-between solid as a rock. It cost about 10 bucks to do.

6. Aslong as you use good tie downs and a wheel chock the front wheel shouldn't move around. My mate transports his bike in his ute all the time and has never had an issue.
    As far as a ramp, just make one up yourself. I just got a piece of checkerplate and welded some steel rods on either side. Cost me bugger all.

7. a good set of tie downs as said above is all you should need. once its tightened properly up the bike wont move at all. id recommend getting some sturdy tie down points installed. i dont think id put the ramp under the bike. but you will have to secure it somehow.

ive got a vr ute and have to leave the tailgate down with the bike in the back, i attach my plank to the side of the tray with rope so it doesn't slide out.

8. For ramps try the local bike shop, the factory shippng crates sometimes have a wheel track in the bottom you can use.

9. Ramps, we always overcharged for ramps. $40 of steel, 1/2 hour labour and charge $150. Unless your weak as piss and can't lift a piece of timber, Aluminium ramps get more costly.

Timber is your best bet, low replacement cost after some one else needs your new aluminium ramp more than you do. can you envision your brand new $200 aluminium ramps being sold by kids to sims metal for $15?

10. Thanks for all the replies from everyone...

Not really about the lift, but my ute does about 19L/100 in the city and I really dont wont to add significant amount of weight - (Id be leaving them in the back permanently)

Very Good Point

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers,

Mo

11. I bought a pair of Whipps ramps...the folding ones. I think they were about $280 each???

I use them for work, putting quads etc on the ute (toyota hilux tray) and they are brilliant.

For security, I simply put a wire rope through them and padlock it around the headboard.

I don't like using wooden ramps...but the point raised about replacement cost etc are valid.

12. Timber does have it's advantages. A good 12 x 2 or 3" plank will cost you bugger all, and you can chamfer the ends or cut grooves in it to suit your own particular tailgate/trailer combo. It will easily handle any bike on the market.
    Get your circular saw, set it for a 1 or 1.5mm cut, and score across one side of the plank at about 50-100mm intervals. The best non slip surface you can find!
    Another option for the tightwads is the hollow aluminium planks sold for placing between trestles. They can be bloody slippery though....

Regards, Andrew.

13. My local boat shop said he would weld it together for me if I got the aluminium and cut it all to size so all he had to do was weld it.

14. Poke the front wheel in one corner, slide the back across hard against the oposite side and a couple of tie downs. Easy peasy.