Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Transferring rego....slight problem? (NSW)

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Teal aaaaahhh!, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Can anyone tell me what the story is as far as transferring rego when the rego papers and receipt have been "misplaced" .I entrusted them to somebody...and now they have up and vanished like a fart in the wind! (not stolen.....lost )
    So I have to front the RTA with nothing but a story...and hope that he has already done his notice of disposal??? Where do I stand with this one?

Thanks in advance. :oops:
  2. Ask the seller to get another set of papers from teh RTA if at all possible, or go to the RTA with your receipt (you DID get a receipt?) and all should be fine.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. Yeah I did get one....but it is honeymooning with the rego papers somewhere! :?

I think I'll go to the RTA and try my luck...surely they wouldn't believe that such a pretty face....could tell a lie :wink: :cool:
  4. Unfortunately they'll tell you to get a receipt! Off to teh seller's you go! :roll:
    The RTA is staffed by droids.

Regards, Andrew.
  5. Write out the receipt and sign it yourself and the rta will never know.
  6. Unless they compare it to the Notice of Disposal signature.....

Regards, Andrew.
  7. I wouldnt bother going there or even calling them for info without the reciept.

Computer and form B243 says reciept, no recient! Does not compute, NEXT!.
    The RTA has no ears for storys.

Was the seller a nice guy? If so Im sure he will understand and be happy to make another (he may have to apply for new papers though?).
    If he seemed like a wanker I might not want to tell him you lost all evidence it is your bike :?

Now it would be illegal to just make one and scribble a pretend signature..........but.
  8. I've done this, without any problem.

If it ever gets reported as stolen you might be in some trouble, but otherwise it's fine.

You don't need the rego papers to transfer ownership. Just a receipt.

Receipt has to have the owners name/address/VIN/Rego & price paid on it.