Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Transferring rego from NSW to VIC

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by say_wat, May 13, 2007.

  1. Do i have to 're register' my car/bike as if its a new rego - and in turn pay all those stupid extra stamp duty fees etc - or are there any dispensations (short of driving to wodonga and getting a NSW pink slip)?

  2. Thanks dear :)
  3. Just my 20c, I just bought a bike with NSW reg last month, and to get it registered in Vic, I needed a Vic RWC (even though it had NSW pink slip) and I paid stamp duty/Vicroads inspection/etc/etc - totalled ~$600 :(
  4. if you've paid stamp duty in one state, you don't pay it again in a different state. Everything else associated with registration is on a per state basis.
  5. When I transferred the fourby, i had to pay nothing... Because it was registered in NSW, they didn't even want to look at the car. (Might have been $10 or something like that)
  6. are you sure your vehicle is REALLY registered? The insurance systems are different for nsw and vic, and registration is by state system - at the very least you have a registration fee and a new plate fee (both of which add up to more than $10)