Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Transfering Rego (interstate)

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Drew, Jun 8, 2006.

  1. What is involved tranferring Rego from one state to another?

    I am considering buying a bike that is interstate and comes with 12 month rego..... so what is involved with getting it transferred to VIC?

    can i get a refund of the NSW rego and just get a VIC rego?

    obviously a RWC is required as i beleive NSW dowsn't need them for transfer of ownership.
  2. You cant transfer interstate, you have to cancel and re-register.

    You do get a refund on unused rego, minus a processing fee, which leaves you with about $5 :roll:
    Bikes are only about $100 in NSW, so not really worth that.
    NSW greenslips can have a fair bit of value, I think you can claim them back once the car is properly registered in your name. So get the greenslip paperwork from the seller if you can so you know what company to contact.

    Because the car/bike is unregistered (because you have to cancel the other states first) you may need more paperwork than a normal transfer depending on your state. In NSW you need a Blueslip inspection.
  3. hmmmmm

    will have to look into it i think.

    thanks for the info