Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tranfering HDD to a new one

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Dazza, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Gday trying to transfer info from an old HDD (IDE I think you call it :oops: ) too a SATA drive. Any way the board has a quick connection at the back for SATA only so that does not help me :evil:
    I tried connecting the old HDD to the new DVD connections, have done this before on the old PC with success but the new one for some reason did not want to know about it :evil:

I cant get the xover connections between the 2 PC working :evil: sooooooo

I am frigging snookerd. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers 8)
  2. Jumpers set correctly?
    Notified the BIOS that it's there?
  3. Oh and if ya can be bothered to attempt to talk me through linking the 2 PC's via a xover cable then PM for my phone number. Both systems run XP

Cheers 8)
  4. Persist with plugging in the old HDD cable into the IDE (DVD/CDROM) connectors on the motherboard. Check the PC's BIOS to ensure the IDE connectors are activated .. it will work (presuming you know the old HDD works fine), you'll just have a BIOS settting incorrect or the IDE cable between the HDD and motherboard connectors around the wrong way at either or both ends.

Tip for the HDD ribbon cable ... at the HDD, the red line on the ribbon cable faces the power connector, and at the motherboard end the red line on the ribbon cable goes on the side that pin 1 of the motherboard connector is.
  5. Failing that....take the blood of one lightly killed frog..................
  6. Yep jumpers set correctly. The bios.... :shock: yep everything checks out OK....I think :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

When I disconnected the HDD and plugged in the DVD back to origanal config the boody puter kept cycling through the boot up stage. Got it back by booting from XP disk

Hey look I have to keep upbeet about it frigging thing.

Cheers 8)
  7. Scared to give it another go Jase, coz the PC cracked the shits and would not reboot. Tried to reboot in safe mode and kept cycling again and again on reboot. Will have a look in the bios first to see what you suggested first.
  8. Being serious (with difficulty),....can you beg, steal or borrow an external enclosure, USB or FireWire?
  9. Yeah, no surprise. Probably booting Windows off the old drive and rebooting on hardware detection because the hardware drivers in the windows on the old drive are completely wrong, so the machine panics and reboots.
    Check the BIOS settings to ensure that the new drive has boot priority over the old drive so that when the old drive is install correctly, the pc still boots and looks for windows on teh new drive and not the old drive.
  10. Oh and another thing :shock: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Why does it only show 256meg of ram at start up but once the PC has loaded you can go and check in systems and the correct reading of 2 gig shows :?:
  11. The old drive is a data drive only. No windows etc. Used as a back up drive data storage/games drive. The rebooting was occuring when the old drive was disconnected
  12. BIOS says 1st Boot is Removable, 2nd Hard Disk, 3rd CDROM, 4th Legacy LAN, 4th Disabled
  13. you need SCSI/RAID/SATA in front of Hard Disk(different bioses call it different things, but thats your SATA controller) and its normally best to have the CDROM in front of that for install booting.

just wondering tho, is there a system on the SATA drive or is it new? cos if it is new, forget the old IDE drive for the time being and get windoze onto the SATA drive before going any further :D
  14. been a laugh (only cos i'm a techie) :LOL:

Failing ALL else, we'll tee up a time to go through in in person and make sure all's good. 8)
  15. let me get this straight.........

you have a serial ATA system that is currently running, but want to get data off an old IDE hdd?

the easiest way would be to borrow an external hdd case, they plug into the system via USB 2 and the system sees it simply as another hdd.

i have one you can borrow btw :p