Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tram Lines

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by mrblack, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Does anyone have any advice on riding with tram lines - apart from not riding on them!

ie road position, best method of crossing when riding parallel to them etc...

2. When the road allows I will ride in the left lane away from the tram lines. If it is a dry day or wet for that matter I ride in the middle of the tracks. as to crossing them I try and do it at the greatest angle possible. Preferably 90 degrees but if not then as big an angle as possible. This does mean it takes a fairly interesting manouver sometimes but it does stop me from getting to much slide especially when they are wet. A constant throttle helps me as well or not throttle at all

3. I agree with what Scumbag said. I do the same. I have never had a problem with them, but I treat them with great respect. :)

4. It's easy guy's; don't touch the throttle or the brakes while you're on them and do not lean the bike too much when turning over them. The steel doesn't offer much traction, so just treat them like a wet & slippery road.

When riding in the wet, tram tracks are like ice and can put you on the ground in a blink of an eye.

One other thing I have noticed in certain area's is the road breaking up on intersections with tram lines, treat these area's with the same respect that you would anywhere where traction is minimal.

5. Thanks for all the tips they make a lot of sense - riding over TT gives me that hollow feeling in the pit of the stomach.

There are some scary places out there with TT. Like turning right from Power Street into Swan Street in Hawthorn - it has it all - rutted oily road, multiple tram tracks, broken up paving, camber sloping away badly.
    :cry: :cry:

6. The victorian L Plate test book has the correct procedure for crossing tram lines. Cross them at an angle as steep as you can make, Try to avoid crossing or riding near joined tracks where several tracks meet

Cheers
    Doc

7. Thanks Doc - I will look it up. I got my licence in WA where they pulled the tram tracks up in 1962 I think so they weren't a big part of my experience.
    :)

8. When wet cross as close to 90 degrees as possible.... When Dry try to lift the bike a bit as you cross them paralel....

I deal with tram tracks for about 80% of my trip to and from work in the city..... and even in the rain you can ride accross them but you try and make it as quick as possible....

I had my only off to date on wet tram tracks..... they are one of many banes of a riders life .....

9. Riding on roads with tram lines, avoid them like the plague. If you do need to cross them, do it as fast as possible, and as agressively as possible. When I mean agressively, I mean to not be hesitant about it, just cross them at much of an angle as possible. Never allow your front wheel to become parallel to the tracks when crossing and remember not to stop your crossing manuever until your rear wheel has cleared the tracks.

10. Tram tracks can be dangerous but they're not to be feared if you treat them with caution and always cross as near to a right angle as you can.

If you're turning right onto a road with tracks, try to go straight until you cross then turn the bike.

If you want to turn right of a road with tracks, it helps to move as far to the left as possible first. Turn the bike as much as you can, then go over the tracks upright before completing the turn.

A lot of tramed roads in melbourne are unfortunately also conjested (eg Sydney Rd) so those manuveres may be a bit tight. If you have to edge over them to overtake a tram or dodge car doors, then keep your speed steady or slow down, turn your front wheel over and stay upright while the back of the bike follows.

As with any other situation, if you ride smoothly, everything should go smoothly. The real danger of tram tracks is the likelyhood of being abused by grumpy tram drivers ringing bells. Just rev a little harder and you should be able to drown out the noise.

11.  Top
  12. Don't forget... if you really want to be noticed... then do a burnout on the tram line in the middle of a toy run (after covering your bike in furry cloth)... then fall off.

And for extra points run into the St. Johns Ambulance car helping out on the ride.

(I really wish I'd had a video camera to film that idiot on the day... I reckon I'd have won a prize on funniest home videos!).

13. LOL, how bloody funny was that?

He spent all morning looking for wet pieces of road, gathered leaves etc. to do his burnouts, what a whacker.

I was in front so didn't see it but heard the "crunch".

I did like his question to the ambo drivers though...

"C'mon guys, can't you say that you don't know how the huge dent in the side of the door got there?"

14. Remember his bike was covered in leopard skin fabric?
    That made it even funnier.