Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tram lines - how do you deal with them?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by qsign, Feb 4, 2010.

1. IMHO they worst possible enemy on urban roads. So how you deal with them?
    1. Just ignoring them and riding like they not exist at all.
    2. Avoiding road with tram line at any cost.
    3. If forced crossing tram lines at very low speed only and as close to right angle as possible
    4. anything else?

2. All that.

Best just to avoid them, so far I haven't had any major issues, but I've not had to ride across them in the wet yet.

That said, I don't enjoy making a turn at the corner of Riversdale and Glenferrie Rd at the best of times (live near by so it comes up a fair bit).
  3. depends what you ride

if its a 10spd and your nuts are up your asre and you like wearing lycra then avoid

if you know how to ride and arent afraid of getting your bike wet and like riding in the rain, well you'll know what to do

if you do ride a 10spd watch out, it's funny shit seeing the front wheel getting stuck and the gay dude going over the bars LOL
  4. Cool - then tell us what to do :)
  5. Speed doesn't really factor into it. Arguably it's better to cross at a normal speed because then if the bike does start to slip, the tyre will hit grippy road not long after and your bike won't have time to fall over.

(Edit: Unless you're forced to turn while riding over the rails. Which is like trying to turn while riding across ice or a diesel spill. It ain't gonna happen. Then slowing down a lot might help.)

Main things are:
    (1) Don't do things which require grip when you're riding on a slippery surface.
    (2) Try to cross at an angle (the closer to perpendicular the better, of course) to prevent the gaps between the road and the rail "catching" your tyre.

But especially #1: You only slide when you use more grip than your tyres can provide. Initiate the turn (so that you're going to cross the rails), then 'go straight' over the rails so that you're not actually turning the bike on the slippery rails, then complete the turn.

When I was living in Melbourne, a lane-change across rails went like this for me:
    * Countersteer so that I'm heading across the rails.
    * "stand the bike up" and ride straight so I'm not needing any grip while riding over the rails.
    * Countersteer the other way so that I'm riding down the lane again.

Or a turn across rails:
    * Countersteer so that I'm heading across the rails.
    * "stand the bike up" and ride straight so I'm not needing any grip while riding over the rails.
    * Complete the turn once clear of the rails.

6. i like to spin the tyre when travelling along the tram tracks, its almost as fun as chucking a big skid that i now can do thanks to mr abs

my tyres are fat and it really helps when changing lanes across tram lines, if you ride a postie as i did you live in fear lol
  7. Move to a state not in the 19th century.
  8. :bannanabutt:

9. And in Sydney you park your bike where???
  10. Tram lines are no problem unless you ride a 70s bike. Then your skinny tyres get stuck in them and you have to ride all the way to the depot to turn round.
  11. 8-[
    LOOOOL :p
    do you follow the tram's traffic signals while being stuck in the tracks? :p

As mentioned before, tyres and tracks shouldnt meet parallel to each other...try to make them go as perpendicular as you can. And yeah, get them to near perpendicular BEFORE your tyres hit the tram tracks, not when your tyres are already touching them.
  12. Damn! Only one bite.