Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Trail/Enduro Bikes on the road!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Jimboss, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Hi guys is it me or am I noticing more trail bikes on the road, how many out there ride trails on the road. What advantages/disadvantages do you find between road bikes - Ive been riding a Honda 250XL for the last 10mths and love it (besides the power issue 250cc + 105kg rider = Slow), Im coming of my Ps and wondering what next -road or enduro. any thoughts?

2. If you still want the dual sport side of things there is plenty of choice.

What's your riding made up of? And what's your budget?

3. I just traded my streeterised XR400 on a VL800 Suzuki. Trailies on the street are yuck-a-rama even though I had Michelin Sirac tyres and taller gearing (15/46) - mind you, I reckon 15/42 would have been better as I was zinging through the gears. Much prefer the cruiser for the street even though it's from Mill Park to the city and back every day (50km round trip)

Do you ride the XL on the dirt at all? If so, you'll have dirt tyres on as the dirt hates the dual purpose rubber. Similarly I found the bitumen eats the dirt tyres big time.

I suppose it depends on how much dirt action you want - if your XL is your road weapon, toss it and get a roadie - you'll love the difference. If you want to get dirty, keep your XL and whack recreation rego on it - you can use that in any state forest - just have to trailer it in. Costs about $60 a year.