Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Trail Bikes

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Kraven, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Can anyone reccomend a good trail bike for someone who wants to start riding out in the bush but is on a budget?

Basically i'm looking for something that is reasonably reliable but less than $1000, i don't care how old it is or what it looks like.

I just want some ideas of what to look for when i start shopping later in the year.

2. Can't you do something to the forks of a postie bike that makes it pretty decent? Seem to remember one of the guys at my uni having one...running methanol as well 0_o
  3. Didn't you just buy a CBR?
  4. Try Ebay, I have seen some really cheap dirt bikes that are brand new there. They are from China, but some look really good.
  5. Im guessing you want a registable road/trail bike so you can ride it to/from the bush and your house..

id suggest an old yamaha ttr250 or honda xr250..there cheap, good engines which'll run for a while, easy to work on and simple..

if you have a ute/van and dont need a registable bike, buy my old CR125 off me for $2200..VGC..basically, for a bush thrasher, the xr's and ttrs are good, but older 2stroke (late 90s like 97 onwards) motorcross bikes are wayyyyy more fun than a old 4banger to thrash around, plus lighter.
  6. Yep :D but i got it cheaper than what i expected and now i got some money burnin in my pocket.
    Anyway this will be a purchase for December/Janurary, i just want to start lookin now so i can get an idea of which bike i want when the time comes.

7. What he said. Also you could look at a DT175 or KDX200.
  8. I can vouch for XR250's. They are indestructable, and great fun to ride. If your heart is set on owning a trail bike aswell, they are top notch. Ive ridden most trailbikes, and have had friends who own other types, and the XR was by far the pick of the bunch. The TTR, for all its twin cams etc couldnt keep up with my XR (I derestricted mine and it would comfortably pull 145kph on the freeway, and get there prety damn quick :)), and the TTR was forever shitting itself. It would blow seals, bend valves, all kinds of crap went wrong, and they all got smokey after a few thousand k's of hard riding(that is the 3 that I knew of). The DR was prolly as reliable as the XR, but didnt have the stink.
  9. What a coincidence, im looking to sell my CR around december janurary ;) ...haha nuh stick with a xr or ttr
  10. Around $1000 shouldn't be too hard as long as you don't want an oil painting. A 2 stroker will be cheaper, and easier to service. A 4 stroker at around a grand could be hiding a lot of problems.

Your choice, but I'd probably go with the 2 stroker.
  11. Thanks for all the comments guys,

I was thinking a 2 stroker would be the cheapest option and the easiest to repair, i don't really care what it looks like as i'm only looking for a bush basher.

Any suggestions for 2 stroke dirt bikes?, i have no idea whats what with these things.
  12. Start with a kwaka KX500 and let me know how long you it takes to flip it!

The following list are two stroke dirt bikes, that will give you loads of fun, and whoop any 250 four stroke.

Honda CRM 250, Suzuki RMX 250, Kwaka KDX 200, Yamaha WR 250, KTM EXC 250 (380 is you are keen).
  13. CT110 with diry tyres.

Tee Hee Hee