Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Traffic reporting Android app question

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by ferkel, Sep 19, 2016.

1. First up, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

After 7 years, I've finally dragged myself kicking and screaming into the smart phone revolution (don't everybody roll their eyes at once at another old fart seeing the light hehe :) ). I was wondering what is the popular Android app for traffic reporting people use on this forum ?. I've been using an app called "waze" for the past day. This is a fantastic app, and does everything I want. The only problem is it gets it's data purely from user input and there looks to be only 60 Waze users in Adelaide covering an area.. hmmm including the hills 50000m^2 ?. So this app without other user input on roads I use make it next to useless. Being a 4 year app, it isn't going to grow it's user base any time soon. Is there an app similar to this that is more popular or has a better data source ?. I'm happy to pay for a commercial app.

2. What type of reporting do you want?
    I use google maps and tick the traffic tick box which marks all the traffic jams as red which I find to be spot on...until some [*anchor] like me filters through a 30 minute traffic jam in 5 minutes and marks the road as clear behind me :p

As to speed cameras and cops, keep a very close lookout and watch peoples brake lights a few hundred metes ahead.

3. I would love something that reported mobile speed camera cars, been past a couple lately and no one flashes their lights any more. I am not talking about 20 and 30 over as all it takes is 5ks and your done. Wouldn't surprise me if most don't even notice them as they pass as there all white and the signs are tiny and right next to them

4. Hi NC. Reporting types: anything that is going to cost me money or time :)

Yes, I agree, that google traffic service is pretty good. I was using that before I got my phone.

5. Google maps traffic is as good as you will get for free if you are using android it is usually pretty accurate .Apparently it works by the location thing on your phone and if there are a lot of androids moving slowly in one place that turns the lines red