Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Traffic Lights?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Marshy, Sep 2, 2004.

1. I came into this incident the other day....

I was waiting for my turn signal to light up at the traffic lights... but it didnt!!

I was amazingly patient and waited 4 sets!!! of lights before zooming through the red.

I rode into the lights where the right hand wheels of a car would be... but mustnt of activated the sensor... i rolled back and foward.. the sucker wouldnt go!!

Whats with that people!!!!
    Is this normal?? Where is the best place to ride up to the line at the lights?

It might of been a dud set of lights but I've been with traffic all other sets and wondering if I will come across this again (when the bike starts again)

(I'm really post whoring when home now!)
    -Marshy

2. I get that problem from time to time, you hear all the tips...flash your lights at the intersection, put your stand down to activate the things in the road, get off the bike and push the pedestrian crossing button (you can be booked for leaving your vehicle unattended in this situation) etc.

I usually wait for 1 set of lights and if they haven't gone green by then, I make my way safely thru the intersection

3. Dont be to worried about it, it happens to all of us sooner or later, ##not enough metal on a bike to set the sensor off.

One day you may see a mad biker sidestand his bike, run over and hit the pedestrian crossing button the cycle the lights.

:D :D :D

Yep guilty ..... been there done that once or twice

:LOL: :LOL: :p :LOL: :LOL:

4. Yeah I get that at times. Apparently, sometimes the bike's not heavy enough to activate the sensor on the road. At night, according to Sluglie, there's a cone on top of the traffic light which is the light sensor that activates. So when you come to a intersection, flash...your lights :D

5. Ahh good.. so it wasnt my imagination... I thought that maybe the bike is a little too light. My old man suggested getting off the bike and jumping up and down....

Hahaha!! now that would be funny!!

6. Ahh true ......BUT if they where in a possie to see me get off and book me. then they would probably have been close enough to cycle the lights anyway, therefore i would not have needed to get off in the 1st place hey Deb

:p :p :p am i waffleling? sounds like i am
    :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

7.  Top
  8. restarting my bike works most of the time

9. Some are sound activated so a few good revs can help!

10. sound activated?? like where?

11. Someone mentioned a while ago that they are magnetic not weight sensor so a bike with lots of alloy might have problems.

12. I'll just strap one of them big muther of a maglight to my bike

Officer: "Excuse me maam, we stopped you cause we couldn't help noticing that you've got a maglight strapped on your bike. Any reason why you're carrying such a big maglight?"

Me: "But officer, I'm trying to set the traffic lights on, because my bike's made of lots of alloy. Also it can trigger the light sensors at night." :roll: :shock:

13. Traffic lights (and red light cameras, for that matter) are activated by Induction loops under the bitumen. When the induction loops read a change in resistance, it triggers the lights to change.
    SOME traffic lights have a light sensor that works at night, but not very many... it could be coincidence that the lights seem to change straight after you've flashed your headlights. :)

The best place to park when approaching a set of lights, is to have the motor of your bike over two strips of the induction coil. You can see where the induction coil is laid, by the lines "cut" into the road. If you can, ride along the strip up to the lights (there will be one on the left, and one on the right, since the loops form a "box"), and stop with your motor over the two strips across the road. That way, you are activating the strip going the same direction as the road (with your back wheel), and the two strips across the road (with the body of your bike).

If you find a set of lights that will not pick you up, it is FAULTY - get the signal box number (on the side/front of the big grey box on the side of the road) and ring 131170 (when you get home or whatever, it's a 24hr number) and report it. :)

14. Good advice Kez and you sound like you know what you are talking about, unlike the rest of us noompties!

15. Kez is spot on. PrickToads will fix the sensor if you report it.

16. Well confirmed it today... revving the bike... shutting it off and restarting... nothing helped.

I'll report it later tonight at work.

17. I don't get it...

Do the coils run vertically or horizontally along the lane?

18.  Top
  19. I've come up to lights were you need 5 bikes parked across the coils to get it to work. Most of the time I treat that set of lights like a Stop sign...

20. And I thought it was just my widdle 250 being to light to trigger the sensor. Good, don't feel so dumb now :D
    or should I... :?

And yes, it happens here in Geelong too! It's speading all over the state - the country... it's taking over the world....ahhhahahaha!!!

*hmm, seems it also effects brain cells, nothing to trigger them to function!!! hahaha :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: