Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Trading up .... R6 - need info please.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Soarer, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Hi everyone,

Well it looks like I may very soon (as in the next few days / week) be getting myself an R6. Unfortunately not enough fun tickets for too newer model, so I'm looking at the 00-02 models.

There's one bike in particular I'm checking out tomorrow, and am after some advice (possibly from some who have had R6's).

Firstly, the 99-00 Gen 1's I'm told have gearbox issues with second gear. Can you tell me how much it costs to fix this, or the likely hood of developing this problem?

Secondly ... What are the servicing costs for a bike that's done around the 35-40,000km mark - Have been told there's a major service due at 42k.

And lastly, but not least ... Is there anything else in particular I should look for when inspecting a potential bike to purchase?

I'm pretty excited to be getting off the CBR250 finally!! Thanks everyone!!

Lee :grin:

2. try to get as later model as possible. the only gearbox issues i am aware of is actually the kwaka's. Havent heard any bad reports on the r6. Yammychick has an r6 and loves it..

3. Newb alert!

Anyhoo. Though I've never owned one or even ridden one, I DID talk to very nice lady just the other day about HERS.

She said that at some stage in the bike's development they opted to put a larger wheel on the front as the smaller one proved to to have some serious stability issues that lead to tankslapping of the worst kind (when the front wheel wobbles such that the handlebars slap either side of the tank like a drummer on meth).

Enough to worry the most stalwart of riders. No problem. She upgraded to a larger front wheel.

Since I have no idea what year this wheel size alteration kicked in I can't be too specific, but most professionals should be able to tell you. According to her, the operation was so mainstream that they knew the measurements off by heart.

Hope that helps with your research. I'm looking at an R6 aswell, but only if I can't gather the rupees for a 748 Duke.

I wanna make my dear sweet mother proud. :p

4. that'd be changing the standard 60series tyre to a 70series tyre - and usually raising the forks through the triple clamps approx 10mm to compensate.
    Seemed to help minimise the headshaking and feel more "planted" on the road

5. Hi Capn Bodes,

Wow ... after doing a bit of research I can't say I've yet heard of the larger front being put on to reduce this problem! Interesting concept!

I'm hopefully planning to put at steering dampener on whatever I end up with to prevent this.

6. I bought a british bike mag called 2 (cause it had a review of the new Sprint ST)

at the back there was a section on r6's and what to look out for

when i get home from work i will scan or just type out some of the info it contained if your interested

(the article focused on buying a 98, 2002, 2003 + R6)

7. Haha... second gear issues on an R6... oh where to start.

Ok, firstly... inspect head stem bearings. If their notchy or not smooth - personally i'd be walking away from the bike now. The second gear issue really only comes into it when the bike has been abused; and is the case when you pull a mono and clutchless shift into second with the power still on strong. Repeat this process and that'll kill most 2nd gears in any gearbox.

I actually heard of a warranty issue with a guy who bought a new R1 and returned it under warranty a couple of times for 'gearbox issues' mostly involving second gear. The third time the guy came back with the same 'issue' Yamaha apparently sent the intructions to check for abuse on other parts of the bike (headstem bearings) and if any were present to not service the bike. Lets just say the bearings were as FUBAR as his second gearbox. :roll: :wink: :LOL:

Aside from that, check it over with a fine tooth comb. Paying a mechanic the $50-100 for an inspection may well save you $1000's at a later date - consider it money well spent if nothing goes wrong.

8. Thanks Aaith & Koma!
    Aaith, I would be interested in the '02 part of that mag, but only when you get a chance, if convenient.

Koma, I have had a play with it and can't notice any of the described noises or feelings - is there a definitive way to check this though? The rear tyre was worn mainly in the centre which also suggests it was used maybe as a bit of a comuter bike (or drag bike .... but I think not ;) )

I ended up buying it last night - due to the way things worked out with work etc, I wasn't able to get it to a mechanic for a check over. But I did go over it as well as I could.

The bike has done about 39,000kms .... but you really wouldn't guess it! To me it looks like similar bikes I've seen with 10,000 on them or about a year old. Everything is clean & shiny, and missing any signs that it's had a drop - which I know can be covered up quite well, but I would certainly bet against it. I've also got the registration history of it using V-Check, and it has had only 2 main owners.

I have since read too that a lot of those gearbox problems people have fixed with a simple 70c spring replacement (to return the shifter back to centre the stock part was too thin and broke or stretched). Only prob I have had with second gear is getting it .... I have jumped into a neutral a couple of times on the upshift, but this I believe to be due to the distance & anglle of the shift lever - I will try raising it tomorrow to see if that works.,

I will post pics up as soon as I stop riding it if anyone is interested :D

All in all, I think I got myself a bargain!

9. congrats mate :) Now you will have to ride it all the way down to my house so I can have a go ;)

PS I didnt really think you would really go out and buy one after you rode mine lols

10. hey soarer congrats on the r6! awesome bike!

11. http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f386/Lee_QLD/R61a.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f386/Lee_QLD/R62.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f386/Lee_QLD/R63.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f386/Lee_QLD/R64.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f386/Lee_QLD/R65.jpg

Some pics of my new toy ... I guess it's like looking at any other blue R6, apart from having some nice polishing work done to it. It's oh so clean n shiny though :cool:

Thanks Thomas :) Hope you are better at those hill starts now matey ;)

It's a nice bike Prawns but after a 9 hr ride to your place I don't know how much I'd like it any more ;) Hey, I said I wanted one after coming back from that ride with a big grin didn't I :) Advice for other 250 riders though .... don't ride a 600 until you can afford one, and you're legally allowed to ride it - not because of the legal implications or any financial reasons - but because you WILL want one and riding a 250 after that just won't be the same ever again!! :LOL:

Hurry up morning, I want another ride :p

12. THAT is one seriously well-detailed bike!! I'd not want to ride it for fear of getting it dirty :LOL:

13. Nice bike dude, how much did you pay for it?
    Looks like you got a cracker of a deal, even if it has done 39000kms (which incidentally isn't that much for a bike of that age. It looks in great condition, the previous owner has treated it well. :cool:
    Remember to treat it to a regular regime of oil changes, even every 2-3000k's if you as pedantic as me. Most people don't realise that a quality mineral oil replaced every couple thousand km's is just as good as using an expensive synthetic oil, not to mention being much cheaper.
    The whole front wheel thing that capn bodes referred to was just the tyre dimensions being changed, not the front wheel itself. The R6 originally came stock with a 120/60-17 tyre (an unusual profile for a front tyre in that most are 120/70-17) which gave the front end a strange feel through corners at speed and change of direction. I'm pretty sure the rim has always been the right size for either tyre so making the change to a 120/70 shouldn't be a hassle. Will definitely give you a better choice of tyres too.
    Don't know about raising the forks through the triple clamps that much though, imo it would make the bike feel even more nervous. I'd just change the front tyre and leave the forks where they are, plus make sure that the steering head bearing preload nut is properly torqued. Sometimes just that being loose can make the possibility of tank slappers that more evident. Not sure whether you ride hard enough to justify a steering damper, they can be a real pain in the arse most of the time anyway. Just make sure everything else is ok first. Even check that your rear shock hasn't got too much preload or too much damping. An improperly functioning shock can lead to problems at the front end as well. Maybe find out factory suspension settings for both ends and adjust them back to those points first, that way you know that everything is as it should be before you go spending money on stuff that you don't need. After riding it for a while you'll find out what needs improving and what doesn't.
    As for major servicing costs, well you would face those kinds of bills with any bike you'd buy. Just be thankful that you won't have to pay the kinds of bills capn bodes will be hit with if he buys that Dupecati!!! :p Figure on at least several hundreds of bucks at worst.
    Happy riding!
    Cheers.

14. God love the rims, wonder how long mine would take to polish up like that. Regards changing the profile of tyre, definatly do this the next time a tyre is due, they say you should raise the forks to keep the geometry of the bike the same for the higher profile, but to be honest, I agree with Roy and dont think adjusting the forks is really needed. (Roy is correct, rim change is not needed)
    The only problem you may find with going to a higher profile, is that there is suddenly alot less clearance between the tyre and fender - which means you will hear the odd rock scrape its way around - A 10minute fix with a dremel to offset the mounting holes gains you more clearance if this worries you.

15. THanks for the comments guys, much appreciated as usual :)

The front came with a 70 on it, and I've since put a new set of Michellin Pilot Powers on the front and rear, keeping the 70 profile on the front again. Went through some roadworks the other night and collected up a bunch of stones under the guard, sounded terrible but not harm done. Think I will raise it slightly up, just in case.

Daniel, the wheels and the other bits that have been polished I'm told were done professionally, there's a really clean line where it meets the original black in the centre which is around an inch wide. Looks pretty good - now I have to work on getting rid of that rear fender.

Asked about the 42k service over at Slacks Creek Pro Yamaha, and it's about the $420 mark which seems reasonable considering what is done.