Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tradies on bikes?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by bullet21, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Whats up home dogs. quick question, ive started an electrical apprenticeship. I have to go all over melbourne. At the moment i live in Scoresby and the job is at melbourne airport, Tullamarine. That F*%#en far. I have a v6 rodeo, but i dont want to spend that amount on petrol (which would be about 100) and on top citylink passes (11 buck a day).

How many tradies you know who use their bike to get to work. I only have one tool box and a ventura rack. How do you secure the box onto the rack?

thank you

2. Don't drive like a trady and you'll be right :)

Can get a giant box on the back for tools and what not. Milk crates are a good cheap option.

3. Get a quick detachable top box that can be mounted to your rack. Cut the fitting out of the bottom of the box and bolt it to the bottom of your toolbox. Instant QD toolbox :grin: .

PS. Beware of weight.

4. how exactly does one drive like a trady, or maybe they'll teach me during the apprenticeship :p

I already got a tool box and its very nice, its more like a back pak sorta thing. But im not sure of how to secure it onto the rack, or if the rack will hold its wait. Cos its pretty heavy, and i dont think the company will be very happy if a couple of hundred dollars worth of tools fell of 2 days into the apprenticeship :LOL:

5. I just take the tools I need and hockey strap them to the back of the bike. You should have no dramas. :cool:

6. Maybe some panniers, to keep the weight down - could also be easier to carry around. And the weight would be lower so better for the bike.

And yes, after the apprenticeship before you're certified you must take a driving course. If you meet any standard of driving you fail.

7. The last bike accident I was at was a chippy on a CT110, in rainy conditions, had his bike fall out fron under him, and he had attached his tool bucket to the CT's rear pannier with four 10 mm bolts and large washers to negate the afftects of fatigue fracture.

He had a reject shop or k-mart storage draw with a positive locking lid (not that it really mattered when the box cracked open), and had so many tools and consumables that it filled the boot floor of the kia. (including a hammer drill and circular saw) - so, a lot of sh1t.

As for the ct - broken headlight, wouldn't start after a few kicks, only crashed in a straight line at 60kph, but the bike came up fine, however the old bugger did his collarbone and I'm not sure what else, and was still in hospital the next day when I dropped his bike and gear off.

So, in short, a k-mart storage bin, 4 10 mil bolts, 1.5 inch washers, and don't ride a ct-110 in the wet with about 25 kilos in the box on uneven ground. Take the $7500 hayabusa instead. :cheeky:

8. Im an apprentice builder/carpenter, when I decide to ride I just leave my tool box in my boss's tradesman trailer,

9. Where do you put the ladder???
    Seriously, the running costs for a bike commute over that distance day in, day out, will still be high. Throw in the risk and weather factor and I'd be looking to move cave.
    The trouble with riding a bike for most of us is that we still NEED a car as well.

10. Just face it buddy, you're eating noodles and drinking wine out of the box until you finish your apprenticeship. Take the ute. :p

11. If you go for this option, make sure you strap it on all 4 sides thoroughly, and try to get it going through a handle or something, from as many directions as possible. To test it, wrestle it hard using your hands to see if you can get it off before trying it on the road. You'd be amazed at how much things can move around (and slip between gaps) when you're zipping around.

I lost a few things learning this lesson, especially with hard items. When a strap is over something soft like a woolly jumper or pillow, it's more difficult for it to move from side to side, like it can easily slide on a hard surface. Sometimes I'll pop my hard item inside a thick top. But with something extra heavy like your tool box, you're REALLY gonna have to secure it well! I'd be getting together with a welding buddy to rig something up where it can't escape from any direction.

12. On at least one occasion, I had two 50kg bags of cement on the pillion seat of the MZ.

Just had to watch the light front end coming out of roundabouts :grin: .

13. They used to use the same trick to make a holden ute handle OK.

Didn't know it helped on MZs too...

Cheers

Trevor G

14. there are two ancient old bikes scooting around me - one belongs to a locksmith, and his old cb250 has signwriting on it, and a nicely fabricated upside down U shaped box on the back full of drawers.

The other is a sharpener - and he has a petrol driven grinding wheel strapped to the back, plus a coupld of leather saddle bags that look about to split at the seams and put all the other stones, files and whatnot onto the road.

Both seem very happy to be commuting as they do. If you plan to claim the cost however, I would suggest you speak to your accountant or the tax office before taking the plunge.

15. sounds like your an elecraftian, welcome to the company good luck with the job, and dont let the trade school fall behind, out at tulla Elecraft should have a lock up box onsite drive one day leave your gear and then ride.

16. its called a sidecar lol

17. yes indeed i am. I take it you work there too? you actually at the airport? I just drove in today and locked up the tool box so now it will be just a matter of getting the bike back and riding in.

18. You must live near Botany? I see the sharpener every day on an old gn125 or similar.