Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Trade-in subject to inspection????

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Wanderer, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Just put a deposit down on a new Blackbird, but the final deal is subject to a pre-purchase inspection by the dealer. Now I know there is nothing wrong with the bike I am trading in, but curious if anyone else has come across this?

The only thing remotely wrong with the bike I am trading is the back brake pads are worn and need replacing and there are a few scratches on the disc, though it doesn't need machining or replacing.

Any thoughts?

2. You would inspect a used bike that you were going to buy yes?

Of course they are going to do the same.
  3. Haggismaen - don't get me wrong - it makes sense and I understand the reasoning, the thing that has me is that no other dealer I spoke with even mentioned it. So this is a normal practice in trading a bike in? I assume the other dealers would have done the same if we got to the deposit stage?

Never had this done when I traded a car in..........
  4. Maybe just to protect them in case you drop the bike on the way to trading it in??
  5. i wouldnt worry too much about it, its more than likely as toecutter said, a safeguard in case you hurt it between now and then
  6. They will most probably screw you with an updated but very unrealistic trade in price for your bike after the inspection. Watch out. :eek:
  7. Oh by the way $16K is the going for an 06 Blackbird ride-away.
  8. thats when you stard walking away with your wad of cash, heading for a yamaha dealer......they soon change their minds
  9. Thanks for the replies - I agree - if they hike up the price on the day then I will look elsewhere. Just for the record, they are giving me about $200 above the nearest trade offer, and the CBR is $15990 rideaway.

I'll let you know what happens.............
  10. They won't change the trade in value. The contract of sale already states how much they are paying for the trade in bike and they can't go back on that. They simply want to protect themselves in the event that you stack the bike before delivery. They agreed to buy a bike in the condition they saw it, and want to be sure that's what they get. It's absolutely nothing to worry about (unless you bin the bike). :)
  11. I've come across this a couple of times, it's really nothing to worry about.
  12. Yeah Wanderer I'm sure it is all above board, still if they change the deal on you, you can always back away.

All I want to say is, just remember where this is all heading... and that is to a nice new shiny blackbird. Have fun. :)